Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vacuum Cleaners

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sun September 5th, 2010, 5:14 pm

We have a Dyson and a Hetty! At least Hetty smiles at me as she's following me around and she's a lovely shade of pink!!! I keep the Dyson upstairs and Hetty is downstairs - it's so I don't have to carry a vac up and down the stairs.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Postby Miss Moppet » Sun September 5th, 2010, 5:22 pm

I've got an Electrolux which wasn't that expensive at the time and is still working over 10 years later, which I'm grateful for, but it's not brilliant - although I have a problem with a horrible synthetic carpet in the sitting-room which attracts dust and holds onto it for dear life. Stepmother has a Dyson, which she doesn't like, I think because the attachments are badly designed. The best vacuum I've ever used by far is a Miele - recommended by our housekeeper to my mother in the 90s, and it really was good. What finally did for it was work being done on the house and having to vacuum up very thick dust and rubble every day for over a year.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Postby rockygirl » Sun September 5th, 2010, 6:33 pm

I have a Bissell. I got a really good deal on a black Friday sale. I also have a Bissell steam cleaner. I'm happy with these products, although, for the right price, I would switch brands.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Fri September 17th, 2010, 3:16 pm

I didn't have time to fool around looking for one, nor the patience to drive a great distance to find just the right one, so I bought the best of what I could find at my local Target (it was that or Wal-Mart, and I'd just as soon cut my throat as shop at WM). Do they even make vacuums that take bags anymore (everything seems to be bagless and plastic)? I'm sure they do, but it's difficult to find one these days. Anyway, I bought the Dyson. We'll see how it works out.

My old vacuum was a Royal Powercast -- made of metal and heavy (picked out by hubby, who always wants industrial strength products made to survive a nuclear holocaust it would seem). It actually worked well for picking up dirt, but was heavy and hurt my back to use (imagine me during my pregnancies hauling this vac up and down stairs! which started my loathing for it). I don't know how much it weighs, but I'm guessing near 30 pounds. The cord, which was supposed to be kink free, wasn't (constantly tangling) and the only vac bag that would fit it was tiny and even then you had to fold it under to fit... so frequent bag changes were necessary. Before this one, we had another Royal which frequently blew out the vac bag. They just couldn't design a vac bag to fit it properly.

The Dyson feels incredibly light and flimsy by comparison, but I like the attachments. They are much easier to access and use than my old Royal (involved disengaging a belt to use which was a pain so I didn't use them often). I don't think they make the perfect vac that will totally satisfy me, but I have kids and a good vac that can withstand a lot of use is a necessary in my house. I hope the Dyson will turn out to be worth it, given what it cost (probably not as much as hubby paid for the Royal, but we've had this Royal for nearly 10 years, I think).

M.M. Bennetts

Postby M.M. Bennetts » Fri September 17th, 2010, 6:07 pm

A Dyson. And the animal hair attachment is a superlative invention. Just sayin'.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Fri September 17th, 2010, 6:15 pm

it was that or Wal-Mart, and I'd just as soon cut my throat as shop at WM

Lol, you and me both ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Fri September 17th, 2010, 11:25 pm

I'd prefer not to shop at Walmart, but out in the boondocks we don't have much else for options.

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Sat November 6th, 2010, 4:00 am

My vacuum cleaner just died on me tonight, for no apparent reason. At least I'm considering it dead -- it is making a horrendous noise and smelled up the whole house with the fragrance of burnt rubber. I am fairly handy at fixing things, but this is beyond me. I am a self-confessed cheapo when it comes to vacuums, but still, I've never had one die on me after only a year-and-a-half! I've always had them last much longer than that ..... so now I shop for a new vacuum -- *sigh* not exactly what I wanted to spend money on right now! :o

So tomorrow I head to Target and/or Walmart for another cheap vacuum! :D

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat November 6th, 2010, 4:06 am

Michy, if your vacuum is making a burnt-rubber smell, it's the belt spinning against the roller, when the brush is stuck. This is easily fixed by fishing/cutting whatever is preventing the roller from spinning -- in our house, it's usually dental floss or a tangle of thread. Replacement belts are simple to put on and they can be found in every hardware store.

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Sat November 6th, 2010, 4:11 am

"MLE" wrote:Michy, if your vacuum is making a burnt-rubber smell, it's the belt spinning against the roller, when the brush is stuck. This is easily fixed by fishing/cutting whatever is preventing the roller from spinning -- in our house, it's usually dental floss or a tangle of thread. Replacement belts are simple to put on and they can be found in every hardware store.

In my case it's usually hair that's the problem. However, I took it apart and cut out whatever hair was wrapped around the roller, but that didn't help. :( But I think I will try replacing the belt. It might do the trick, and it's a lot cheaper than a new vacuum! Thanks for the suggestion.

Just spent $600 on my car today, so the thought of having to spend more on a vacuum -- even a cheap one -- isn't very welcome right now!!

When things like this happen, I always remember the Far Side cartoon of the "appliance faith healer" and think, 'where's an appliance faith healer when I need one?!' :D
Last edited by Michy on Sat November 6th, 2010, 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat”