Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
rockygirl
Avid Reader

Postby rockygirl » Mon September 27th, 2010, 11:53 pm

Nemesis

Been looking forward to this one for a while!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue September 28th, 2010, 12:15 am

"rockygirl" wrote:Nemesis

Been looking forward to this one for a while!

My DH is reading that one too! He's recovering from an op and I bought it for him as a treat he could begin as soon as he was back to concentrating. He tells me he's really enjoying it so far.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Tue September 28th, 2010, 12:22 am

Isn't that an Agatha Christie? Or am I totally confused? :eek: I seem to recall reading it a long, long time ago......

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue September 28th, 2010, 1:00 am

Seventrees by Janice Young Brooks. Kansas, 1800's three generational saga.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue September 28th, 2010, 1:41 am

I've finished "Grave Secret: Harper Connelly Mystery #4" by Charlaine Harris (413pgs large print, 2009)*. Another good book in the series, and it might be the last one, I hope not, but that's what I heard.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue September 28th, 2010, 2:43 am

"Michy" wrote:Isn't that an Agatha Christie? Or am I totally confused? :eek: I seem to recall reading it a long, long time ago......

I was looking at recommendations over at Amazon UK and came across "Nemesis" by Philip Roth which is fairly new, so I'm thinking it's that one.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

javagirl
Reader

Postby javagirl » Tue September 28th, 2010, 3:12 am

C.W. - Thanks for sharing about The Astronomer. I've been pondering whether to get that one. Also, will be interested to hear what you think of The Eight. Had it in my hands to get from the library a while back and a good friend of mine whose reading opinions I usually share told me not to bother and I put it back. But I've wondered about it several times since then.

I finally finished Sarum. Good for what it is, although, I think I was more in the mood for greater depth on characters that I could "stick with" for a while which doesn't happen in this kind of 10000 year saga, so I struggled to finish it. But I did enjoy many parts and learned a good bit.

Now treating myself to the 3rd in the "Into the Wilderness" series, Lake in the Clouds.

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Tue September 28th, 2010, 4:32 am

"javagirl" wrote:
I finally finished Sarum. Good for what it is, although, I think I was more in the mood for greater depth on characters that I could "stick with" for a while which doesn't happen in this kind of 10000 year saga, so I struggled to finish it. But I did enjoy many parts and learned a good bit.

I really liked that one. I read it many years ago but the parts about it that still stand out to me are 1) just how l-o-n-g it took to build those massive old cathedrals. I knew that from history, but Rutherfurd put it into terms that made it very real to me. There were people whose entire lifetimes were spent working on the cathedral, who never saw the beginning nor the ending of the project, but just the endless work-in-progress. Hard to imagine nowadays when things are built so rapidly by comparison. 2) Just what an impact the Black Death had on society and on the lives and fortunes of many individuals and families. I believe it was in Sarum -- but perhaps it was in London -- where one of the characters who was quite unsavory and unlikable had the great good luck to be one of the few people who survived the plague. He was therefore able to step into the vacuum left by the death of so many of his neighbors, and as a result his fortunes turned around and he became quite wealthy. Although this was fictional, I am certain things like that actually did happen. John of Gaunt, for instance, became the wealthiest and arguably the most powerful man in England largely as a result of the plague.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Tue September 28th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Started Quo Vadis this morning... have seen the film several times, though not recently. My challenge is getting Robert Taylor's wooden acting out of my head while reading this!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue September 28th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Lindsey Davis's latest Falco book is called Nemesis too.
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

Return to “Archives”