Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Postby LoobyG » Sat September 25th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Just started 'Dawn's Early Light' by Elswyth Thane.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat September 25th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Finally reading The Last Queen. After I finish I think I need to reread the Captain Alitriste books, since the time period is similar (and theres a new book in the series coming out this year)

chuck
Bibliophile

Anand

Postby chuck » Sat September 25th, 2010, 5:33 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Anand's Gildenford series is excellent. Were you able to get your hands on all of them without dropping serious $$$$?

My Library had it....and we have a decent Inter library loan program....Yes I'm really enjoying it.....The Alys Clare "The Joys of My Life" mystery.....Started out well....but the story perpetuates King Richard the Lion heart(before his death) as a member of a band of evil Satanic Cult Knights...who sacrifice young boys along with devious sexual crimes.....I know about the rumours/myths about Richard's Sexual Orientation ...but this plot is not subtle about the Lion heart's involvement with this group of evil Knights....I'll finish it...curious how the author plays it out.....

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Sat September 25th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Post by Chuck
What a treat....Let us know how you like it....I liked RY"s Templar Series....I look forward to reading it next year....

I'm really enjoying Insurrection. It's a while since I read the Templar series, but I think Robyn Young's writing has gone up a notch or two with this one - certainly her descriptive passages are excellent, and she's managing to keep an epic, action-filled story flowing without causing any confusion, even though there are a lot of characters involved and several political intrigues going on. The Bruce himself is a strong central protagonist and developing nicely.

CrimsonPetal
Reader

Postby CrimsonPetal » Sat September 25th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Just started The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. This one has been on my wish list for ages.

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Sat September 25th, 2010, 10:00 pm

"Miss Moppet" wrote:All the flirty stuff between Rochester and Jane. He is always calling her his pixie or his fairy or a sprite or something.
How funny, in all the times I've read the book I've never noticed that. But now I will the next time I read it. ;)

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Postby Amanda » Sat September 25th, 2010, 11:18 pm

Just started Treason by Meredith Whitford.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Sat September 25th, 2010, 11:37 pm

About half-way through The Warrior's Princess, by Barbara Erskine. Pretty standard Erskine, but that's no bad thing.

Started The People's Queen, then decided to save it for my upcoming hols...
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

kauldron26
Scribbler

Postby kauldron26 » Sun September 26th, 2010, 4:24 am

Currently reading Saylor's "Roma". He is definitely challing Michener in this novel, thankfully however, he is not sucking at it.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun September 26th, 2010, 12:32 pm

"CrimsonPetal" wrote:Just started The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. This one has been on my wish list for ages.

I thought that was excellent. Working on The Enchantress Saga by Nicola Thorne.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Archives”