Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Fri September 17th, 2010, 2:28 pm

Literary authors are usually the most difficult for me to read. For instance, Joyce Carol Oates is vaunted as a great author, but I've never been able to read any of her books.

RichardWarrenField
Scribbler

Wolf Hall

Postby RichardWarrenField » Fri September 17th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Don't feel bad, it took me several tries and three books read in between until things finally clicked for me. That said, it is unfortunate with these *literary* books with that pressure that if you don't get it there must be something wrong. Definitely not literary, but I sure felt like the odd man out when reading Pillars of the Earth and then looked again at all those glowing reviews wondering if I had a different book. That's life.

Literary authors are usually the most difficult for me to read. For instance, Joyce Carol Oates is vaunted as a great author, but I've never been able to read any of her books.

The truth is, not every writer will connect with every reader. I liked PILLARS OF THE EARTH, and in fact blogged extensively about the mini-series. And the few Oates short stories I've read connected with me. But, a few years back, COLD MOUNTAIN didn't do it for me, though at least I finished it. I think we writers have a duty to create something that communicates what we want to get across clearly. If we're looking to experiment with form to create an effect, we do run the risk of losing readers. Ms. Mantel lost me, but obviously captivated many others!

I am now reading ON FALCON'S WINGS by Lisa Yarde.

Richard Warren Field
http://www.richardwarrenfield.com/
http://www.richardwarrenfield.com/TheSwordsofFaith.htm
THE SWORDS OF FAITH, a unique novel about the "Third Crusade" (Richard the Lionheart and Saladin) that stresses tolerance between the faiths even during a time of great conflict.
Richard Warren Field's blog: http://creativeeccentric.wordpress.com

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Postby rockygirl » Sat September 18th, 2010, 11:51 am

You did better than me. I couldn't get past the first chapter of Cold Mountain.

Currently enjoying One Thousand White Women, which I got at the library.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat September 18th, 2010, 1:14 pm

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sat September 18th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert. Very well written, very moving, and you need those hankies in the earliest chapters.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sat September 18th, 2010, 2:16 pm

I loved that book, Misfit. I hope you enjoy it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Sat September 18th, 2010, 3:51 pm

"Misfit" wrote:The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

Oh, I loved this one!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat September 18th, 2010, 5:59 pm

I've finished "Mistress of the Elgin Marbles: A Biography of Mary Nisbet, Countess of Elgin" by Susan Nagel (295pgs, 2004). Interesting biography, a bit laggy in parts. Seems almost amateurish compared to the other Nagel book I'm reading right now about Marie-Therese, the daughter of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI. The books are like day and night.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Carolly Erickson's Rival to the Queen

Postby Berengaria » Sat September 18th, 2010, 6:28 pm

I know this book hasn't been published yet, but wanted to know if any of you were thinking of buying it.
User signature picture My 4 girls!

[SIZE="1"]
[/SIZE]
“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

TLee
Reader

Postby TLee » Sat September 18th, 2010, 10:08 pm

I am about 1/3 of the way through Royal Blood by Rhys Bowen. Another wonderful romp with Lady Georgiana!

Return to “Archives”