Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun September 12th, 2010, 10:24 am

[quote=""rockygirl""]Reading The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill. Has anyone read it?[/quote]

No but it's on my TBR pile, so let me know how you enjoy it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 12th, 2010, 12:41 pm

In the home stretch on Russian Winter and then I have the last two in Juliett Benzoni's Marianne books (Lords of the East and Crown of Fire) sitting staring at me begging to be read. Looks like it winds up during Napoleon's retreat from Russia.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 12th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Rereading People of the Book for a discussion group this week. Still really liking it, but this time realizing how appropo this book will be at this time. Amongst the debate about Muslims and mosques and Koran burning, here is a story about how Muslims and Jews at times in history were friends, neighbors, colleages and have helped each other, even saved each other. Wish we could find that time again. Anyway, really enjoying the book all over again - tho I know Im getting closer towards the ending and am probably not going to finish it at that point.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sun September 12th, 2010, 4:18 pm

I'm just about to start "Eclipse" by Stephenie Meyer.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Sun September 12th, 2010, 6:04 pm

However, for the Labor Day weekend I'm taking up to Tahoe with me my last 50 page proofs and EC's For The King's Favor. (I realized I must read this before To Defy a King, as EC will be visiting my blog on Septrember 14!)
I read To Defy a King before I started to read The King's Favor. It actually works as a great flashback! Hope you had a great weekend in Tahoe! Went to Reno in 92 and hoped to get up to the lake, but that was the year of the great blizzard!
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Sun September 12th, 2010, 8:10 pm

[quote=""rockygirl""]Reading The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill. Has anyone read it?[/quote]

Yep, I read it a couple of months ago and thought it was an excellent read, although quite distressing in places.
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Mon September 13th, 2010, 4:31 am

[quote=""Berengaria""]I read To Defy a King before I started to read The King's Favor. It actually works as a great flashback! Hope you had a great weekend in Tahoe! Went to Reno in 92 and hoped to get up to the lake, but that was the year of the great blizzard![/quote]

Oh, yes. Massive snow that year. I love to ski, but I actually love the summer more there: it was gorgeous and we swam in the lake. I'm going back up the weekend of the 25th for a book group event; the women of the group happen to live in that area and so I agreed to go talk to them in person. Should be fun; the group leader lives near Cave Rock, a very scenic area on the Nevada side of the lake. I'll take photos.

My partner and I are going on a 10-day trip to Guatemala at the end of September and so I'll bring To Defy A King with me on the plane.

I devoured City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin this weekend; very atmospheric and riveting. I really enjoyed it. It suited my Romanov / thriller needs perfectly.
Last edited by cw gortner on Mon September 13th, 2010, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

JoshuaKaitlyn
Reader

Post by JoshuaKaitlyn » Mon September 13th, 2010, 12:11 pm

Finished Desmond Seward's 'A Brief History Of: The Hundred Years War' :D Now to start 'The Firemaster's Mistress' - Christie Dickason.
Alea Jacta Est

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon September 13th, 2010, 3:15 pm

Have just started 'The Heretic's Daughter' by Kathleen Kent. Also reading David Crystal's 'A Little Book of Language'.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon September 13th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Snuck in a guilty pleasure The Sea of Monsters - YA fantasy about Greek demi-gods - between The Spartacus Wars and Gilgamesh. It's fun and very Harry Potterish--which is a good thing!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Archives”