Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

September 2010: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

September 2010: What Are You Reading?

Postby boswellbaxter » Wed September 1st, 2010, 12:59 pm

I just finished Katie Whitaker's A Royal Passion, NF about Charles I and Henrietta Maria.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Wed September 1st, 2010, 1:28 pm

Remembered that I had Michener's Poland languishing on a shelf somewhere and finally started reading it. He slips into history lecture in this one more than he did in Hawaii, where I think he did a better job of sticking to stories about people caught up in the pivotal events of their time. Regardless, I'm enjoying it.

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Postby Russ Whitfield » Wed September 1st, 2010, 1:51 pm

Tony Riches "Arrows of Fury."

princess
Reader

Postby princess » Wed September 1st, 2010, 2:26 pm

"The Good Earth" by Pearl Buck
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

M.M. Bennetts

Postby M.M. Bennetts » Wed September 1st, 2010, 3:03 pm

Finishing the last chapters of Dominic Lieven's sesquisuperlative Russia Against Napoleon and wishing it could go on for a great deal longer than it does. (He has a new book out though, so that shall be my treat later this month...)

Also, staggering through battle after battle in Michael Leggiere's The Fall of Napoleon. It's not that I don't enjoy battles--I love a good battle with the rest of them, me. It's just when that's all there are and they become indistinguishable because of the repetitive writing, I lose the, er, will to read on and start asking random people, "Remind me why I'm a military historian?"

Lucy Pick
Scribbler

Postby Lucy Pick » Wed September 1st, 2010, 6:45 pm

Rereading Deception about Tang dynasty China, but Altieri and Cooney. Evil empresses and mad Buddhists, woooo!

TLee
Reader

Postby TLee » Wed September 1st, 2010, 10:00 pm

Just started The Secret Eleanor by Cecelia Holland. I have enjoyed her other books that I have read - hoping this one is as good.

kauldron26
Scribbler

Postby kauldron26 » Wed September 1st, 2010, 11:44 pm

Finishing Hawaii by Michener. I have so much respect for this man. Honestly, his thoughts and ideas were so ahead of his time. He wrote this book in the 1950s when racism was prevalent in the U.S. yet his words and beliefs shine through this unabashed look of the devastating effects of colonialism, missionaries and socioeconomic oppresion.

Cheers to you Michener, you were definitely one of the greatest. Regardless of genre.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 12:30 am

Just started The Dowerless Sisters by Valerie Anand, the last in her Bridges over time series. A not-so-cheap ILL courtesy of the U of Wisconson.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu September 2nd, 2010, 12:45 am

"TLee" wrote:Just started The Secret Eleanor by Cecelia Holland. I have enjoyed her other books that I have read - hoping this one is as good.

This is winging it's way to me from BF (see sig), I hope it's good as well!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Archives”