Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why you shouldn't buy an e reader

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Thu December 16th, 2010, 4:13 pm

"Mythica" wrote:For that to work, data from the books has to upload to Amazon's servers, which they will naturally have access to. And many people who has called Kindle CS for tech problems have probably experienced the fact that Amazon can access your Kindle over the internet as long as the Wifi/3G is on - this is a good thing because it means they can resolve many technical problems without the customer needing to send it in for repair/replacement.

You can always turn off the wifi/3G on your device (if it comes enabled). My Sony is not wireless.

I agree, though, that I find the loss of privacy disturbing and creepy, and big corporations are taking more and more liberties with regard to tracking consumer behavior. I would even go so far as to say that many big corporations are going further than people realize in tracking behaviors and invading the privacy of those they employ.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Thu December 16th, 2010, 4:27 pm

I think it's like the "Big Brother is Watching" syndrome....In today's electronic surveillance technology and all of the potential illicit uses ; it's not a bad thing to keep looking over your shoulder from time to time......

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Postby Mythica » Fri December 17th, 2010, 10:43 am

"Ludmilla" wrote:You can always turn off the wifi/3G on your device (if it comes enabled). My Sony is not wireless.

True. But it probably still uploads some details when you do turn it on, which you have to at some point to download books (with Kindle).

Return to “Chat”