Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arthurian Newbie #2 from North Carolina!

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
cat
Reader

Arthurian Newbie #2 from North Carolina!

Postby cat » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 4:51 pm

Hello everyone! I discovered this wonderful forum through Susan Higginbotham and immediately signed up! I am a graphic designer by trade, but I'm also a huge fan of history and historical fiction. So this seemed the perfect place to chat with other writers and lovers of the genre. Being 100 percent right-brained, I dabble in writing among many other creative hobbies, but I don't consider myself a writer by any means. I have always been drawn to the legends of King Arthur; he's my favorite subject and what I passionately research (when time permits *laughs*). I've read Malory's LeMorte, and while it was a lovely collection of fairytales, I tend to prefer Arthur as a Dark Age warlord, not the King of Camelot. I also find novels of Ancient Rome of particular interest.

I have only truly had a thirst for reading historical fiction for about six or seven years now, so I have a long list of 'must reads' before I'd ever consider myself a connoisseur though. But thus far some favorite authors are: Bernard Cornwell, Rosemary Sutcliff, Helen Hollick, Gillian Bradshaw, Stephen Lawhead, Phillipa Gregory, and Guy Gavriel Kay. There are many more though. And many other authors such as Stephen King, JRR Tolkien and Terry Goodkind that I also thoroughly enjoy when I get into the fantasy realm.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and hope to add to my list of books to read as I explore the forum and discover all your recommendations!

Boring, useless information about me: I am addicted to Starbucks coffee, chocolate and the actor Clive Owen. I'm 43, married, no kids, and live in North Carolina, USA. I'll watch ANY movie based on anything remotely historical or fantasy. If it has a sword in it and takes place in Europe, I'm bound to watch it. I'd have horses if I could afford them...a black Friesian or a white Andalusian. Love cats and have had them most of my life; strangely living without cats at the moment. And I ramble. :rolleyes:
Book Cover Designer ~ http://www.avalongraphics.org
User signature picture

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 5:11 pm

Hi Cat and welcome, have fun here.
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Postby LoobyG » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 9:07 pm

Welcome and happy reading Cat! :)

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 9:23 pm

Hi Cat! Welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly interesting people here and, I swear, most have cats - check out the pet pics! Same here about the horses, except I'd have a Morgan and/or an Icelandic pony. We visited Iceland a few years ago and I came home drooling for one of the little critters. They are so easy to ride. Unfortunately, my home in Brooklyn is zoned for chickens, but not horses. ;)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 9:29 pm

Hi Cat! I'm sure you'll love it here.

My husband and I have two horses. One is a pure Arabian, the other is half-Arab.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 9:35 pm

Welcome, Cat. I hope you enjoy it here.

I have two cats and two dogs. Wouldn't be without them!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

cat
Reader

Postby cat » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 9:37 pm

Thanks so much for all the warm welcomes!!!

"fljustice" wrote:....Unfortunately, my home in Brooklyn is zoned for chickens, but not horses. ;)

Same here *laughs* but we can still dream, can't we?

LoveHistory wrote:My husband and I have two horses. One is a pure Arabian, the other is half-Arab.

I adore Arabians too! The famous shape of their heads...and the stamina that breed has is legendary! I read the Black Stallion books as a young girl and for a long time, wanted a black Arabian stallion of my own!
Book Cover Designer ~ http://www.avalongraphics.org
User signature picture

Ashley
Scribbler

Postby Ashley » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 10:12 pm

Hrm, you seem to be familiar. ;)

I forgot to mention Guy Gavriel Kay and Gillian Bradshaw too! Just love them. And I'm sure I'll see you around. ;) <3
~Ashley

King Arthur Fan Fiction, maintainer

My writing can be found on my Live Journal, HERE.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 10:42 pm

Hi Cat, and welcome to the forum. I just sold off a horse, (the one in my current avatar) because poor Magic needed more riding time. Strangely catless too, at the moment, unless you count the daughter's visiting felines who are fantastic at catching flies. However, I still have (and always will have) my pack llamas, who allow me backpack-free access to the wilderness.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 10:54 pm

Hi cat, welcome aboard. No horses here but two cats.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Introduce Yourself”