Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sex in books too much or not enough?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Hoopking
Scribbler

Postby Hoopking » Fri November 7th, 2008, 3:39 am

Being one of the authors you are talking about, I feel that if you have a book that has a romantic flare to it there should be at least one scene that depicts the feelings that burn in the hearts of the two lovers. If it is not there whether or not you have an imagination you really can't know for sure what the author is feeling and how they would show their feelings to someone they deeply loved. When I am writing those scenes I really get involved in the moment of the two lovers and hope that it is portrayed to the reader. Not in a lude manner but in the heat of passion between two charaters that the reader has become a part of.

Spitfire
Reader

Postby Spitfire » Fri November 7th, 2008, 3:45 am

"Hoopking" wrote:I feel that if you have a book that has a romantic flare to it there should be at least one scene that depicts the feelings that burn in the hearts of the two lovers. Not in a lude manner but in the heat of passion between two charaters that the reader has become a part of.

Perfect! Nailed it on the head! It's all about the chemistry!
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

Hoopking
Scribbler

Postby Hoopking » Fri November 7th, 2008, 12:48 pm

I think the diffence in a movie sex scene is, no matter how good the movie is and how much you get into it, those are still two people you are not completely connected to and I prefer the door closed. A book on the other hand, for me, I actually become the hero and have no problem delving into the bedroom with the woman I love. Not that I think the actual sexual act should be introduced, but all the tension upto the final moment draws me into the book completely. Then the after time of carressing and real love making which has nothing to do with a sexual act. Sex is not love as we all know, but love produces sexual activity.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Fri November 7th, 2008, 3:36 pm

The tension is fine, I would prefer the doors closed during. Before and after is fine.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”