Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sex in books too much or not enough?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Sun September 7th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Olivia and Jai is so good! Although I consider it more romantic historical fiction that a real "historical romance" novel. Either way it was wonderful! I hated Jai right up until the last 20 pages.

One of the best examples of a sexy steamy scene without being crude or over the top is in SKP's The Reckoning when Lewellyn and Ellen meet for the first time three years after she is captured by King Edward. That was just smokin' hot without any clothes coming off at all! It's one of my favorite steamy scenes ever!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun September 7th, 2008, 6:20 pm

"1lila1" wrote:One of the best examples of a sexy steamy scene without being crude or over the top is in SKP's The Reckoning when Lewellyn and Ellen meet for the first time three years after she is captured by King Edward. That was just smokin' hot without any clothes coming off at all! It's one of my favorite steamy scenes ever!

Oh gawd yes (even tho the end result was so damn sad).

I have Olivia and Jai on order, should get to that sooh.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun September 7th, 2008, 7:22 pm

"1lila1" wrote:One of the best examples of a sexy steamy scene without being crude or over the top is in SKP's The Reckoning when Lewellyn and Ellen meet for the first time three years after she is captured by King Edward. That was just smokin' hot without any clothes coming off at all! It's one of my favorite steamy scenes ever!

I agree on that one as well. There was some serious chemistry going on there.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun September 7th, 2008, 8:44 pm

WP's comment on sex versus romance is certainly true for me. I have bred llamas for years, and sex per se is something right out of a veterinary manual. Without a romantic context, it is just so boring.

Even within a romantic context, for me it has to have some hope of adding to the character's lives beyond the moment to be emotionally effective. Years of working with kids who have no daddy on the scene due to that urge for instant gratification gives me a context that makes all that 'steamy' stuff quite sour. Altho from the what sells' side, before I had that context I suppose I was as titillated as any. Problem is, reading and dwelling on A leads to B. In the case of writing denigrating or potentially destructive sexuality for immediate gratification, I suppose it will make money if you don't care who gets hurt.

But at the end of the day, social accountability and personal consequences are also important to people, and they are willing to buy accordingly. That is why organic products and 'green' products are finding a market niche, although they tend to be more expensive than their counterparts. That is why people who used to like bingeing on sweets can start refusing them even though they love the taste.

All that started with awareness on the part of the consumer. So I guess I'll keep on plucking that one string on my guitar. Which means,I like sex in books to be pictured within a life-enhancing context, something that if the reader took into their worldview and imitated it would be good for them. In the same vein, since not all situations are ideal, tell the tales about destructive behavior with the real-life consequences emphasized rather than ignored or 'spun' to make it seem they are okay choices after all.

My classic example of stories in this vein (neither sexual, but imagine where an R-rated version of each story would go in that regard to get the context) are both Disneys: The Little Mermaid (stupid premises to build a life on) versus Beauty and the Beast (pretty much good ideas and realistic consequences throughout.)
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Sun September 7th, 2008, 8:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun September 7th, 2008, 9:45 pm

>That is why people who used to like bingeing on sweets can start refusing them even though they love the taste.

But why would one want to? Hee. I do know what you are saying, people do have a choice in what they do, and have to take the consequences of that choice. I expect to see those consequences in some way played out in what I read, no matter the choice or situation (not just sex)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon September 8th, 2008, 1:18 am

"Ash" wrote:>That is why people who used to like bingeing on sweets can start refusing them even though they love the taste.

But why would one want to? Hee.

Type II diabetes?

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Mon September 8th, 2008, 11:43 pm

This thread looks familiar to one that was on PG's board.

I appreciate authors like Plaidy who are implicit about it in the story. So long as it's tastefully described, very well.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Tue September 9th, 2008, 12:28 am

"MLE" wrote:Type II diabetes?

Um, I was kidding. My down fall is dark chocolate, and ice cream. The former I dole out to myself in small pieces. For ice cream I either get frozen yogurt or the sugar free kind. So I do try to watch it. But now and then....

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:56 pm

"Ash" wrote: My down fall is dark chocolate, and ice cream.

I'm a dark chocolate person myself. I was born with a sweet mouth, nevermind a sweet tooth! I love all sweets but my downfall are the sweet pastry type items. Cakes, doughnuts, tarts, ugh!!! Give me strength!! :o
Books to the ceiling,

Books to the sky,

My pile of books is a mile high.

How I love them! How I need them!

I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue September 9th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Careful now, you go OT and you never know what the mods are going to call the new thread. Remember the one about the pets? :D :D :D

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”