Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Facebook "friends" with former teachers: appropriate?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon August 16th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Awesome. Thanks :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Fri August 20th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Or, if you don't care to be that drastic, underneath the Block/Report option, there is also a link for "Remove from Friends" which simply removes the person as your Friend without any fanfare.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Diiarts
Scribbler
Location: I'm based in Hampshire (UK) but we also have a partner based in Kentucky, USA

Postby Diiarts » Sun August 22nd, 2010, 11:24 pm

"Kasthu" wrote:After two years of not using facebook, i got bored last weekend and went back on. I found one of my high school teachers on there. I figured I'd "friend" him (he's made his profile available for view by anyone, he's friends with some of my old classmates, and I found him in fewer than two seconds simply by searching for his first name, which is very common). I sent him a message to remind him of who I am. He accepted my request, but a couple of hours later he "defriended" me. Now, lots of other people have done this before and it hasn't bugged me, but I'm really bothered by this one! Am I overreacting to this? Maybe he simply doesn't remember me...

By the way, this former teacher of mine is now 36 years old and he lists himself as "single." I'm obviously not looking for anything more than an online friendship with this guy, but it does make me wonder what he thought...

By the way, I was inspired to go looking for this teacher by the fact that I've received three "friend" requests from former middle school teachers recently...

So that begs the question, is it appropriate to be facebook (or any social networking site) "friends" with former teachers or other authority figures? Overstepping boundaries? Ir is it OK many years later, when the student is no longer such and an adult?

I left school 24 years ago and am FB friends with three of my former teachers. Beyond a certain point the hierarchy thing becomes ancient history. Mind you, one of those teachers appears to have a number of his current or recent students as FB friends.

I don't see that there's any problem with it, provided (a) the school doesn't have a policy against it and (b) everyone concerned is using FB responsibly and is aware of who their friends are and who might be reading any given post. It's the same with work colleagues - if you connect to your boss on FB and then mouth off about how mean your boss is, don't be surprised if it backfires on you.

Don't refine on the de-friending thing too much, Kasthu. There could be any number of reasons for it, none of them about you.
www.diiarts.com - books for people who love books

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Mon August 23rd, 2010, 6:44 pm

I was a high school teacher for six years and at least 100 of my Facebook "friends" are former students (but only ones who graduated - by now they all have). I'm not sure I'd have a Facebook account if I was still teaching. But if the person has a Facebook account, I don't see anything strange about a former student "friending" at all.

Perhaps the "defriending" was a mistake. I've accidentally deleted the wrong person before! I wouldn't read too much into it. If they're defriending you, they're the ones who have the problem. Not worth keeping up with them in that case...
Last edited by michellemoran on Mon August 23rd, 2010, 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Return to “Chat”