Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where Are You Now?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Susan
Bibliomaniac

Postby Susan » Sun July 11th, 2010, 1:17 am

I'm at the Palace of St. Germain outside of Paris and I'd like to get out to buy a gift.

~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sun July 11th, 2010, 12:44 pm

I'm currently in Norfolk, England, and it's raining. (it's non HF but the heroine is a forensic archaeologist and has found some bones and relices from the Iron Age, so there's a historical link!)
Currently reading "The Body in the Ice" by A J Mackenzie & "A Death in the Dales" by Julia Chapman

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Sun July 11th, 2010, 10:32 pm

I'm commuting between Europe during the Roman Empire (NF) and the Iberian Peninsula in 1812 (HF).

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Fri July 16th, 2010, 8:04 pm

I'm at Ad Gefrin (Yeavering) in Northumbria. I've gone to seek help from the High King against the rapacious Mercians led by King Penda, but instead find some dark and dangerous family secrets revealed.

Currently reading: Bloodline by Katy Moran, a YA novel set in 8th century Britain.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat July 17th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Viewing The Trinity of Andrei Rublev, inside the Troitsa Cathedral

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Sat July 17th, 2010, 10:48 pm

1830's New Orleans, and it's Carnevale time.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Sun July 18th, 2010, 1:47 pm

I'm a young woman navigating my way through post-communist Krakow. Side-by-side with my own story is that of my grandparents who must survive both Germans and Soviets during and after WWII.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Mon July 19th, 2010, 12:05 pm

9th century -- important characters are soaking and scheming in the great pool and 55-75 degree Centigrade waters of the thermal baths at the emperor's palace in Aachen.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Mon July 19th, 2010, 12:11 pm

I'm in 18thC India and I've just waved my husband off to work in the opium factory. He's travelling on a cart driven by a leather worker, so is not allowed to look at him or touch any of his belongings.
Sea of Poppies Amitav Ghosh
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Mon July 19th, 2010, 1:53 pm

Have just been named Empress of all the Russias after having deposed my vile, mad husband.
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

Return to “General Discussion”