Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where Are You Now?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham & How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sat October 31st, 2009, 11:34 am

"Misfit" wrote:Madeline, how you holding out in a town so out there in timbuktu there isn't even a McDonalds?

I don't go to McD's that often anyway, and we're used to rain here (it's raining at the moment) so I'm just about managing!

Nona, I have the first 3 and am waiting for number 4 to come out in pb, haven't seen the films yet though. So far it's a nice easy read, and I can identify with Bella's uselessness at PE, I was exactly the same! :)
Currently reading "How to stop time" by Matt Haig & "The Miller's Dance" by Winston Graham

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Sat October 31st, 2009, 4:41 pm

France, in the court of Charles VI "The Mad". With a young Katherine of Valios.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat October 31st, 2009, 5:14 pm

The Isle of Sky 1953, seeking two female climbers feared dead at the hand of a murderer....

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

4ever Queen
Reader

Postby 4ever Queen » Thu November 12th, 2009, 10:31 pm

France, at the Temple, 1793--it seems that the Knight of the Maison- Rouge suceeded in delivering a 'note' to Madame Veto (Marie Antoinette). The Guard just caught her... they are abour to search her... and they have sound the alarm... oh no!!! :o
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Postby Catherine Delors » Fri November 13th, 2009, 8:45 am

London 1770s...

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Fri November 13th, 2009, 12:14 pm

I'm at a lunatic asylum in the Forest of Dean in the 1840s. Alfred Tennyson has just paid a call...
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Sharz
Reader

Postby Sharz » Fri November 13th, 2009, 4:41 pm

I'm pulling together a legion to try to hold off the barbarian hoards threatening Gaul.

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Postby Anna Elliott » Fri November 13th, 2009, 5:28 pm

I'm in the Whitechapel district of Victorian London. Jack the Ripper is on the prowl . . .
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]
Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)
[/COLOR]
User signature picture

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Fri November 13th, 2009, 6:00 pm

(Thought I'd pinch this idea from Misfit!)

Local legend says the bluebells mark the blood of Norman soldiers--

I'm at Rannerdale (originally probably "Ragnar's dale") in the Cumbrian Lakeland District, in the midst of a bloody battle between Ranulph le Meschin's Normans and Cumbrian/Norse resistance fighters led by Jarl Buthar. It's sometime early in the 12th century--

Amazingly, although most people have heard of Hereward the Wake, Jarl Boethar/Buthar is virtually unknown, yet for thirty odd years from the Harrying of the North in 1069 to the early 12th century, this Norse chieftain and his band of disaffected native Cumbrians and Anglo-Scandinavians conducted a campaign of running resistance against the Norman invaders from a hidden stronghold in the fells around Buttermere (which takes his name in a corrupted form)

I hadn't realised the extent to which the Vikings occupied this area from the ninth and tenth centuries; with all those Viking genes it's no wonder the Borderers developed such a fearsome reputation!

Reading: Rosemary Sutcliff's "Shield Ring"
Last edited by annis on Sat November 14th, 2009, 3:19 am, edited 6 times in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Fri November 13th, 2009, 6:18 pm

I'm in London, but not sure when. Reading Georgette Heyer's Devil's Cub - definitely earlier than Regency. They are wearing wigs, powdering their hair, and the parties are called "drums." Early Georgian, I suppose - Heyer is not one for sprinkling dates into her novels, but the setting details are very precise - an expert in the period would probably be able to date it to the year from the costuming alone.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings and over 650 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “General Discussion”