Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Conventions

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Doug
Scribbler

Conventions

Postby Doug » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 9:50 pm

I just got back from Pulpfest, a 3 day convention devoted to the old pulp magazines. There are a ton of science fiction/fantasy conventions every year, as well as a number devoted to mystery fiction. Are there any conventions devoted primarily or exclusively to historical fiction?

Doug

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 9:55 pm

"Doug" wrote:I just got back from Pulpfest, a 3 day convention devoted to the old pulp magazines. There are a ton of science fiction/fantasy conventions every year, as well as a number devoted to mystery fiction. Are there any conventions devoted primarily or exclusively to historical fiction?

Doug

The Historical Novel Society has annual conventions alternating between the UK and the US. The UK convention will be held in Manchester this October; the US convention will be held in June 2011 in San Diego.

http://www.historicalnovelsociety.org/
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 1:19 am

I am definitely going. I saw on the website that registration starts in November. Let me know who all is going, maybe several of us could split a room or suite.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 2:10 am

Coincidentally, my dad was at Pulpfest in Columbus this past weekend. He's been collecting pulp fiction magazines for years.

Is anyone going to the Manchester HNS convention? I've only been to the UK event once, and I don't think it'll work out for me this fall.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Postby parthianbow » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 7:48 am

Yup, I'll be there. I offered my services to Richard Lee, and was pleased to be offered a place on a panel about military historical fiction. Other chaps in the same genre who'll be there include Harry Sidebottom, Robert Low and Douglas Jackson. I'm looking forward to it (and the night out the night before :D ).
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Doug
Scribbler

Postby Doug » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 2:11 pm

Small world, Ariadne! If your dad has been going to Pulpfest (and its predecessor, Pulpcon) for awhile, then I probably know him, as I've only missed one since 1987.

Doug

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 2:19 pm

Doug, if you've been attending for a while, you probably do know each other! My dad is Steve Lewis, who runs the Mystery File blog.

Ben, sounds like Manchester will be a great time. I'll look forward to reading the reports!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 3:11 pm

"Ariadne" wrote:Coincidentally, my dad was at Pulpfest in Columbus this past weekend. He's been collecting pulp fiction magazines for years.

Is anyone going to the Manchester HNS convention? I've only been to the UK event once, and I don't think it'll work out for me this fall.

I am probably not going Ariadne. I have a lot on in October with Regia Anglorum, a looming deadline for Lady of the English and a new grandchild around that time. I didn't particularly enjoy the York one. Lovely venue and it was nice to seem some old friends, but the atmosphere somehow didn't have the buzz of the old days of some of the earlier London meet ups of the society.
Edited to say I will try to get to one of the USA ones.
Last edited by EC2 on Tue August 3rd, 2010, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Doug
Scribbler

Postby Doug » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 3:18 pm

Ariadne, I've known Steve Lewis for many years! Tell him "hi" from Doug Ellis. :)

Doug

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 3:36 pm

"EC2" wrote:Edited to say I will try to get to one of the USA ones.

I don't know if you've ever been to San Diego, but if not, you should try for that one. It's a great place. I wouldn't have thought of it as a setting for a historical fiction society, but it's a beautiful city nonetheless with wonderful weather!

Return to “General Discussion”