Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Films for kids

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Films for kids

Postby Kveto from Prague » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 5:19 pm

My oldest daughter is almost 5 and is starting to watch telly. Weve watched a few films together and im looking for some advice on some English language films we could watch. her favourite film is the secret garden (the newer one) which is just about a perfect film.

we tried to watch some of the animated films like finding nemo but it was just too scary and violent. (i really wonder what the point of trying to scare the hell out of children seems to be with these types of films)

Any advice on some English language films for kids that we could watch together?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 6:29 pm

Keny, my granddaughter never seems to tire of the Sound of Music. She is learning all the dialogue in both English and Spanish. When she is a little older, we will turn on the subtitles. Kids are little sponges for learning, and I'm betting that seeing the words on the bottom of the screen while she is hearing the dialogue she already knows by heart will give her a boost on reading.

She doesn't like the animated features we have as much as the ones featuring real kids. But she loves hearing the music, and dance numbers. Mary Poppins is another favorite. We have the Disney animated movies, but those don't go over as well as the live-actor ones.

The King and I also gets a thumbs-up from Hailey-- the old one.

The only animated movie she really likes is Spirit, Stallion of the Cimarron. I must say, as an animal breeder I enjoy it too. They got so many of the horse behaviors right, it doubles as educational. And there's a neat little extra where the animators show you how to draw a horse by looking at its anatomy that might be helpful in a couple of years.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 7:12 pm

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (though it is long).

My daughters loved the Stuart Little movies at that age.

It's hard to predict what kids will like, and what will scare them. I've discovered that what a kid will think is scary is usually pretty unique to each child, and you'll find yourself surprised by what does not scare them.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 7:15 pm

Geez, all the ones I can think of might be too scary if "Nemo" scared her, sigh :(

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 7:48 pm

My daughter also loved The Sound of Music - still does (she's almost 19). When she was very little, her favorite movie was Disney's Beauty and the Beast - it didn't seem to scare her at all. She was also quite fond of The Lion King.

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Postby Anna Elliott » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 9:53 pm

Mary Poppins is a really nice, gentle movie for kids. Nothing too scary. I totally agree--why all the newer animated ones feel the need to scare the daylights out of little ones I will never understand!
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]
Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)
[/COLOR]
User signature picture

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 1:19 am

My kids are big on Musicals. That Thing You Do, High School Musical (all of them, including the concert special), Camp Rock is the newest one. Rogers and Hammerstein and Disney films are perrenial favorites. Veggie Tales are really little kid friendly too.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 1:21 am

If "Nemo" scared her, then a lot of the Disney movies would as well, with all the evil witches and scary animals and such.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 4:20 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:If "Nemo" scared her, then a lot of the Disney movies would as well, with all the evil witches and scary animals and such.

SM

That's true. I did like The Little Mermaid at that age. It does have a some 'scary' parts, and the evil sea witch.
I can't think of any movies I watched at that age that might not be too scary for her, sorry.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Tue August 3rd, 2010, 9:41 pm

(i really wonder what the point of trying to scare the hell out of children seems to be with these types of films)

The tradition started long long ago, long before the Grimm brothers collected all those oral folk tales and put them down in a book. Those original ones are so not Disney.

Actually what bothers me more are movies that are marketed to kids, but are so not for them. Wall-E, for example? The original Batman?

Some 5 year olds have no trouble dealing with Disney. Yours sounds like me; I remember being scared by about anything and would have nightmares. Suspensful is one thing, but I don't like being scared. I agree, musicals could be a great place to start. I loved Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. Oliver too, but there are some not so good moments.

There's always Toy Story (tho that does have some dark moments); heck thinking about it, they all do! Winnie the Pooh maybe?
Last edited by Ash on Tue August 3rd, 2010, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”