Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010 BOTM Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sat August 7th, 2010, 11:46 am

Oh yes I'd heard that Jamie and Claire pop up somewhere along the way, so far I'm enjoying this more than Outlander/Cross Stitch; think it's more realistic and it grabbed me pretty much from page 2.

I've never seen Last of the Mohicans but think that will have to be rectified next time it's on TV! I've heard of the main characters ie Hawkeye and Cora but that's about it.
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

TLee
Reader

Postby TLee » Sun August 8th, 2010, 5:06 pm

I read this a few years ago and really loved it. I have since read the entire series and was very sorry to have it all end. I enjoyed all of the books and the quality of writing continues until the end of the last book.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Postby Madeleine » Fri August 13th, 2010, 7:43 pm

Really getting into this book now - had to go with my mum to a hospital appointment today and usual it was 80% hanging around, so managed to read a fair chunk.

that kiss in the waterfall - oh my!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Postby Madeleine » Sat September 11th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Well finally finished this last night and I loved it. I think it's better than Outlander/Cross Stitch - I enjoyed that book, but liked this one much better. It did have a slight soap opera tone to it, and some of the major events were a bit predictable, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment at all. I like most of the characters, although the brother, Julian, was a bit cliched and I love Nathaniel and like Elizabeth a lot - she's not as irritating as Clare, and seems to be a bit more sensible. I also thought it was very well-written, with a nice sense of slightly dry humour. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series at some point!

Return to “Feature of the Month”