Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010, what are you reading

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Tue August 17th, 2010, 5:42 am

I've been spoilt with two very different, but brilliant books.

Winifred Holtby's South Riding, captures a cross-section of a fictional rural Yorkshire community in the 1930s. I became totally immersed in its events and relationships. Holtby writes with a deftly satirical touch, but never loses empathy for her characters or the human condition. I'll definitely check out more of her work. (South Riding can't count as HF because it was contemporary when written, but it's a wonderful snapshot of a particular time and place).

Philip Reeve's Here Lies Arthur is a stunning and sometimes disturbing teenage novel. Reeve's writing is masterful, and the story subtly multi-layered. It can be read on many different levels- as a commentary on politics and myth-making/propanda, how we see people in terms of gender, how people see what they want or expect to see, as a vivid picture of post-Roman Britain or just as an exciting adventure.

Arthur is a typical warrior, a rather nasty piece of work, more brawn than brain. The bard Myrddin has an agenda, and Arthur is the tool he uses to achieve it. Very clever- reminds me a bit of a sinister Dark Age Yes, Minister, with swords.

I've posted a review at Margaret's HNI website
http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Here-Lies-Arthur.html
Last edited by annis on Tue August 17th, 2010, 7:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.

enelya
Reader

Postby enelya » Tue August 17th, 2010, 11:05 am

I am currently reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon....I figured I was in for a treat

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Postby rockygirl » Tue August 17th, 2010, 1:48 pm

I finished the Downie book. I thought it was the best of the three.

Heading to the beach with "Cleopatra's Daughter."

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Tue August 17th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Just started The Iliad.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favorite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Postby Nefret » Tue August 17th, 2010, 2:51 pm

"sweetpotatoboy" wrote:Just started The Iliad.

Nice. I haven't read that since High School.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

JoshuaKaitlyn
Reader

Postby JoshuaKaitlyn » Tue August 17th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Finished 'The Blue Max' - jeeze I can pick em! Mind you no where near as bad as the Lucraft 'Swynford' bio. Back to McCulloughs 'Masters of Rome' series 'Antony & Cleopatra :D
Alea Jacta Est

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Tue August 17th, 2010, 6:36 pm

Finished up The Lonely Polygamist, which was a wild ride of a novel. Review up at Epinions if anyone is interested -- I suspect that it might hit one of the top ten books of the year. Now have started into some NF, Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland, and it looks like it'll be a good counterpoint to the Masters of Rome series to give it some context.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue August 17th, 2010, 8:12 pm

A complete change of genre - I'm going to start reading Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay next.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Re: Too Close to Home

Postby Berengaria » Tue August 17th, 2010, 9:56 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:A complete change of genre - I'm going to start reading Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay next.

I have that book in my TBR pile. I recommend Tana French ...I've finished her latest book and reordered her first two ---very very good! :D
User signature picture My 4 girls!

[SIZE="1"]
[/SIZE]
“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue August 17th, 2010, 10:08 pm

I loved In the Woods by Tana French! I have The Likeness on my TBR pile.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Archives”