Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010, what are you reading

Retired Threads
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Postby Miss Moppet » Sun August 15th, 2010, 4:44 pm

"Leo62" wrote:WH died tragically young in 1935, and South Riding was published posthumously. It's her best novel, but her other stuff is well worth reading too.

Yes, especially The Crowded Street, which is about the provincial debutante track vs early feminism. Recently republished by Persephone.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Sun August 15th, 2010, 5:04 pm

"Miss Moppet" wrote:Yes, especially The Crowded Street, which is about the provincial debutante track vs early feminism. Recently republished by Persephone.

Yes, a few of Holtby's novels have also been reprinted from Virago Modern Classics, and some of them are excellent as well (Anderby Wold, The Land of Green Ginger, etc). I like her writing style.

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Postby Berengaria » Sun August 15th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Thanks for the information! I've found the thread!
User signature picture My 4 girls!

[SIZE="1"]
[/SIZE]
“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon August 16th, 2010, 12:47 am

I've finished reading "Tiaras: A History of Splendour" by Geoffrey C. Munn (425pgs, 2001)*. A fascinating look at tiaras, gorgeously illustrated with images of tiaras, images & paintings of women wearing them, and such. Highly recommend, but not a cheap book.

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Mon August 16th, 2010, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Mon August 16th, 2010, 4:36 am

Reading two non HF - by A.A. Gill, a collection of his essays Previous Convictions: Assignments from Here and There. Enjoying this very much and plan to read his other collections.

Also reading Kings of the Earth for a reading group. Slow starting, but Im liking it as well.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Mon August 16th, 2010, 1:04 pm

Reading Wicked Company by Ciji Ware and I am also thoroughly ashamed to admit to a mash-up book but this Beatlemaniac couldn't resist Paul is Undead. Pretty funny so far, this is written in kind of a documentary format where the various characters reflect back on the history of the Beatles (as Zombies though :D )
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Mon August 16th, 2010, 4:38 pm

I'm going to start the Scarlett Contessa...I think is what its called. Looks good.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon August 16th, 2010, 4:49 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Reading Wicked Company by Ciji Ware and I am also thoroughly ashamed to admit to a mash-up book but this Beatlemaniac couldn't resist Paul is Undead. Pretty funny so far, this is written in kind of a documentary format where the various characters reflect back on the history of the Beatles (as Zombies though :D )

Ok while I was in my pain killer induced half sleep I had the strangest thought that Paul died today, and when I read your post I had to laugh. I don't know why I thought it, it just popped into my head, and I thought, I hope I just didn't have a premonition!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Postby rockygirl » Mon August 16th, 2010, 9:37 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:I've finished reading "Tiaras: A History of Splendour" by Geoffrey C. Munn (425pgs, 2001)*. A fascinating look at tiaras, gorgeously illustrated with images of tiaras, images & paintings of women wearing them, and such. Highly recommend, but not a cheap book.

SM

"Tiaras" is my all-time favorite coffee table book.

I'm reading "Persona Non Grata" by Ruth Downie. It's been on my pile for months, and I can't believe it's taken this long to get to it.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Mon August 16th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Diana of the Crossways now for me, a thinly-disguised novel about Caroline Norton, the Victorian feminist-ish.

Return to “Archives”