Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010, what are you reading

Retired Threads
4ever Queen
Reader

Postby 4ever Queen » Thu August 12th, 2010, 5:04 am

Today I got started on By Fire, By Water by Mitchell Kapplan. I'm looking forward to another great read! :D :D
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu August 12th, 2010, 11:53 am

"Miss Moppet" wrote:Right, I have no clue where Limping Devil fits into it. But I don't have the whole series so I'm not too clear on the order myself. They are great books though. The Catherine series by Juliette Benzoni is super too - commissioned by the publisher because Angelique was so popular.

Over at GR Karla did some snooping and posted what she figures is the order, and I put that on my review there, plus the order that Fantastic Fiction has. I'm wondering if its a Dumas kind of thing, some editions of his books (i.e. The Vicomte de Bragelonne) are broken up differently by different publishers.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Postby Anna Elliott » Thu August 12th, 2010, 1:01 pm

"Divia" wrote:I'm reading Hush Hush a YA novel.
I need to finish Dracula in Love. I brought it with me to Italy but eh, well, things happened there.

How is Hush Hush, Divia? I've had that on my wishlist for awhile.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]
Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)
[/COLOR]
User signature picture

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu August 12th, 2010, 2:06 pm

"4ever Queen" wrote:Today I got started on By Fire, By Water by Mitchell Kapplan. I'm looking forward to another great read! :D :D

Do take his history with a huge grain of salt. He got so many things wrong, it hurt.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Thu August 12th, 2010, 6:40 pm

Starting Empire by Steven Saylor tonight. Very much looking forward to it; I loved Roma.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

emr
Compulsive Reader

Postby emr » Thu August 12th, 2010, 7:07 pm

After staring for a while at my tbr pile (is it shrinking? :D ) I started Season of Storms by Susanna Kearsley and I'm already hooked.
I see her Every Secret Thing is being reedited this month under SKs name instead of Emma Cole.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Thu August 12th, 2010, 7:36 pm

EMR -- if you are hooked on Season of Storms, then you must read The Shadowy Horses. I thought Season of Storms was meh, Shadowy Horses was much better. Some of her other books are supposed to be really good also (especially Mariana) but I haven't tried them yet, as they're not readily available through my library system.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Postby emr » Thu August 12th, 2010, 10:45 pm

"Michy" wrote:EMR -- if you are hooked on Season of Storms, then you must read The Shadowy Horses. I thought Season of Storms was meh, Shadowy Horses was much better. Some of her other books are supposed to be really good also (especially Mariana) but I haven't tried them yet, as they're not readily available through my library system.

I did love The Shadowy Horses although in my ranking The wonderful The Winter Sea (Sophia's Secret) comes first with Mariana a close second :) Both novels very recommended.
"So many books, so little time."

— Frank Zappa

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Thu August 12th, 2010, 11:37 pm

I hope to get my hands on them one of these days. I really enjoy Kearsley's writing.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Thu August 12th, 2010, 11:43 pm

"annis" wrote:I'm still sulking because the last Catherine book was never published in an English language editon :(

Currently reading Winifred Holtby's classic of 1930s provincial English life, South Riding. I've been meaning to read this for ages, and spotted a cheap copy on an online auction site the other week.

I just finished that one this past week! Let me know what you think.

I just finished Mrs Ames, EF Benson's novel about queen bees in an English town about a hundred years ago. Very funny. About to start The Ante Room, by Kate O'Brien.

Return to “Archives”