Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

August 2010, what are you reading

Retired Threads
User avatar
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any
Location: North Yorkshire, UK

Postby Vanessa » Wed August 11th, 2010, 9:32 pm

I'm about to start The Confessions of Catherine de Medici. (I've just finished the last book in the TV Book Club series which I've been following.)
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

User avatar
Misfit
Bibliomaniac
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Misfit » Thu August 12th, 2010, 12:58 am

Marianne by Juliette Bezoni. Napoleonic France.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

User avatar
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile
Location: North London
Contact:

Postby Miss Moppet » Thu August 12th, 2010, 1:18 am

"Misfit" wrote:Marianne by Juliette Bezoni. Napoleonic France.


That's on my list to re-read too. Have you just started it?

User avatar
Misfit
Bibliomaniac
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Misfit » Thu August 12th, 2010, 1:57 am

"Miss Moppet" wrote:That's on my list to re-read too. Have you just started it?


Just started today, ILL courtesy of Central Washington University, Ellensburg. So far, I think I love it, and best as I can tell the library has the rest of the series. It is an ILL so I have a shorter borrow time and no renewing so it goes on top of the list.
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

User avatar
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile
Location: North London
Contact:

Postby Miss Moppet » Thu August 12th, 2010, 2:11 am

"Misfit" wrote:Just started today, ILL courtesy of Central Washington University, Ellensburg. So far, I think I love it, and best as I can tell the library has the rest of the series. It is an ILL so I have a shorter borrow time and no renewing so it goes on top of the list.


I've got to finish Time's Legacy for similar reasons (can't renew, someone else wants it) but if you do like it enough to order the others let me know and maybe we can buddy read the next one. As I recall the first Marianne is split into two, The Bride of Selton Hall and The Eagle and the Nightingale, is it just Selton Hall you have?

User avatar
Misfit
Bibliomaniac
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Misfit » Thu August 12th, 2010, 2:40 am

"Miss Moppet" wrote:I've got to finish Time's Legacy for similar reasons (can't renew, someone else wants it) but if you do like it enough to order the others let me know and maybe we can buddy read the next one. As I recall the first Marianne is split into two, The Bride of Selton Hall and The Eagle and the Nightingale, is it just Selton Hall you have?


The edition I have has three parts, Bride of Selton Hall, Limping Devil and Eagle and the Nightingale. I've been a bit confused on the series (see fantastic fiction) so I assume I've got books #1 & #2. Unless something goes belly-up with this book I most definitely want to continue. Very promising so far. After this as best as I can tell the library has the rest of the series so I can take my leisure. http://catalog.kcls.org/search/Y?juliette%20benzoni
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

User avatar
Amanda
Compulsive Reader
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Amanda » Thu August 12th, 2010, 2:44 am

The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir. So far....better than The Captive Queen!

User avatar
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile
Location: North London
Contact:

Postby Miss Moppet » Thu August 12th, 2010, 3:56 am

"Misfit" wrote:The edition I have has three parts, Bride of Selton Hall, Limping Devil and Eagle and the Nightingale. I've been a bit confused on the series (see fantastic fiction) so I assume I've got books #1 & #2. Unless something goes belly-up with this book I most definitely want to continue. Very promising so far. After this as best as I can tell the library has the rest of the series so I can take my leisure. http://catalog.kcls.org/search/Y?juliette%20benzoni


Right, I have no clue where Limping Devil fits into it. But I don't have the whole series so I'm not too clear on the order myself. They are great books though. The Catherine series by Juliette Benzoni is super too - commissioned by the publisher because Angelique was so popular.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Thu August 12th, 2010, 4:47 am

I'm still sulking because the last Catherine book was never published in an English language editon :(

Currently reading Winifred Holtby's classic of 1930s provincial English life, South Riding. I've been meaning to read this for ages, and spotted a cheap copy on an online auction site the other week.

User avatar
4ever Queen
Reader
Location: California

Postby 4ever Queen » Thu August 12th, 2010, 5:02 am

"Vanessa" wrote:I'm about to start The Confessions of Catherine de Medici. (I've just finished the last book in the TV Book Club series which I've been following.)


Enjoy it Vanessa! it was a great read for me, I just finished it last Monday.

Happy readings :) :)
"A scar signifies past pain, a wound that did not heal as it ought. But it testifies, too, to survival" (Here Be Dragons)

http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

http://everythingedward2.com/


Return to “Archives”