Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best thing Today...I finally converted him!

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Postby Rowan » Sun September 7th, 2008, 3:27 pm

I would think anything Bernard Cornwell has written would be accessible to men.

Spitfire
Reader

Postby Spitfire » Sun September 7th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Actually a fellow came into our office the other day and he was toting a Julie Garwood novel (I think it was Saving Grace, not sure though). Shocked me! Not many men would be confident reading Historical Romance in public. I was too shy to ask him how he liked it, what I really wanted to do is recommend to him a better novel by her.
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun September 7th, 2008, 3:41 pm

lol, I could never see my Ronnie toting a Julia Quinn or a Kathleen Woodwiss romance around. I suggested buying him B. Cornwell book to begin with but he said that he wanted to try something I already owned and since I chatter on about the ones I read, he knew I would have something for him.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Sun September 7th, 2008, 6:30 pm

"nona" wrote:we we blend really well to begin with. He's into hot rods and motorcycles and I take part in that with him, because of him I fell in love with older muscle cars and bought my camaro

He sounds just like my fiance! He's into all that stuff too and he can rebuild a 69 camero from scratch. To say that I have zero interest in cars would be an understatement! But we have lots of other interests in common like the outdoors and camping, hiking, etc. Personally, I like my reading time at night where I can be by myself, or at least it seems like that when I'm absorbed in a good book. We should get our men together and they can go talk cars so we can read in peace!! :D
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Spitfire
Reader

Postby Spitfire » Sun September 7th, 2008, 8:35 pm

"1lila1" wrote:We should get our men together and they can go talk cars so we can read in peace!! :D

Now that is a good idea! :cool:
Only the pure of heart can make good soup. - Beethoven

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Sun September 7th, 2008, 9:02 pm

lol, we should,Ronnie loves to talk cars and bikes. We went to a car show on July 4th when I was eight and half months pregnant which I was the one who wanted to go, granted, course after an hour and half I was just as ready to go but Ronnie was still talking cars with some guys and I had to smile cause I loved him but wanted to strangle him at the same time.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Tue September 9th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Bernard Cornwell is a safe bet for men, even if they only like 20th c. They remiond me very much of James Bond novels, but with the Napoleonic Wars thrown in.

Anyway, Nona, are you sure your husband isn't a reader? Seems like an odd choice of books if he had no idea.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:38 pm

That's great news for you Nona !!

My partner is an even bigger reader than me actually, so no complaints there and he likes HF aswell. Although he'll read more the male writers like Bernard Cornwell, Alexander Kent, Allan Mallinson, Simon Scarrow, Dudley Pope. He also likes crime like James Patterson and so.
But on the other hand he also read everything by Dorothy Dunnett and loved it.

I've tried to make him read The Greatest Knight, he hasn't yet, but he will one day. He has read Lords of the White Castle by EC though and enjoyed it.

eclecticreader10
Scribbler

Postby eclecticreader10 » Wed September 10th, 2008, 1:55 am

Recently I met a guy online. I asked him if he liked to read and said he loved to read (he knew I did from my profile). As was getting to know him I kept trying to find what kind of books he liked. He finally tells me, 'I don't read, like you read. I mostly read manuals online to learn how to play a computer game.' In other words, he reads directions! Clearly, he was telling me what he thought I wanted to hear. He would have been better off telling me he didn't read for enjoyment. I could handle that; I'm sure we could have found other mutals interest. And, oh by the way, we are both in our 60's

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Wed September 10th, 2008, 3:39 pm

lol at least he knows what he's doing when playing computer games.

Return to “General Discussion”