Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Enhanced" books are hitting the market.

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Postby Miss Moppet » Fri July 30th, 2010, 4:32 pm

One of my author friends, not a member here, told me these were coming a couple of years ago and raised some doubts - the idea has great potential, but a lot of these extras amount to more content which the author is supposed to provide for no additional fee. Presumably when actors are invited to contribute to a DVD commentary, they are paid for their time - but are authors expected to provide extra material for free? Perhaps Ken Follett gets compensated, but do others? And it must time consuming. I love to read interviews and commentary from my favourite authors, but I worry that they don't get much time to actually write! Perhaps the answer is to re-use material already written for blogs, promotion etc - but I still think authors should get additional payment for anything they provide beyond the book itself.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri July 30th, 2010, 4:56 pm

I just want pics no music or anything.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

red805
Reader

Postby red805 » Fri July 30th, 2010, 8:03 pm

I always love maps, especially in historical fiction.

burlgirl
Scribbler

Postby burlgirl » Fri July 30th, 2010, 8:59 pm

I also want more pics. I've always been of the school that every book should have illustrations, and many of them.

I was on Amazon yesterday, and it looks like the new Kindle, which I'm beginning to experience a desire for, has the ability to read to you while you drive, etc. and you can then pick up reading where the audio left off, and vice a versa. I wonder if the audio is like in an audio book, i.e. great, or standard text to audio which sounds funny....

The new Kindle is also able to import MP3s so you can have music play while you read...

This was not meant as a Kindle adverstisemnt.

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Fri July 30th, 2010, 9:16 pm

"burlgirl" wrote:I wonder if the audio is like in an audio book, i.e. great, or standard text to audio which sounds funny....

That's a good thing to find out, because the narrator makes ALL the difference in an audiobook. My experience has been that if the narrator is a trained actor, then they're good. If not, then they're not. Nothing like a mediocre to bad narrator to totally ruin an audiobook. Not all listeners may be as picky as I am, but I have actually DNF many audiobooks because I couldn't take the narration.....

P.S. The only time I've run into bad narrators, is audiobooks that I got from the library that were produced by lesser-known companies. All the major audiobook producers use really good narrators (generally professional actors).

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Fri July 30th, 2010, 9:33 pm

"Miss Moppet" wrote: a lot of these extras amount to more content which the author is supposed to provide for no additional fee...Perhaps the answer is to re-use material already written for blogs, promotion etc - but I still think authors should get additional payment for anything they provide beyond the book itself.

I worry about that as well. Authors are already expected to do so much in these days of social media. It used to be, your contact with the reading public was restricted to readings, signings, the occasional convention, and any fan mail forwarded by the publisher. Now authors are expected to actively market by having a web presence, writing a blog, being active in social networking groups (in addition to all the "old" stuff.) Adding content to an enhanced edition of a book could be an additional burden on time. Even if the "enhancements" were more like historical essays based on research already done, it still means writing and polishing content for inclusion.

Payment is also an issue. Does Starz get a cut of every "enhanced" Pillars of Earth sold, earn a flat license fee, or some other scheme? Presumably the publishers have some method of paying for the content. If they pay other folks to provide it, then an author who provides extra content should get a cut somewhere in the contract.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Fri July 30th, 2010, 9:52 pm

How are you supposed to have time to do actual research and writing?!

And to think that Georgette Heyer refused to do any publicity at all -- she didn't even grant interviews -- and still managed to be incredibly successful. Those were the days, huh?

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Postby Anna Elliott » Sat July 31st, 2010, 12:14 am

"Michy" wrote:How are you supposed to have time to do actual research and writing?!

And to think that Georgette Heyer refused to do any publicity at all -- she didn't even grant interviews -- and still managed to be incredibly successful. Those were the days, huh?

It's definitely true that all these things take time, but I think there are 2 parts to the job, being a 'writer' and being an 'author' and ideally you love both parts and get energy for each from the other.

I would love to do 'enhanced' books, like EC said with illustrations and maps and author comments. I was just saying to a friend that I wish my books could be illustrated like the fairy tale books I read with my 3 yr. old! Ideally I think it could be like the 'special features' option on a DVD, you can just watch the movie without them (or in this case read the book) but the extras are there for those who want to go a bit deeper.

And Faith, I'm looking forward to checking out the video your husband produced, that sounds really fascinating.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]
Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)
[/COLOR]
User signature picture

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Vaughn Entwistle
Scribbler

The Club Dumas Audio Book

Postby Vaughn Entwistle » Wed August 4th, 2010, 3:14 pm

The idea of having an eReader that will read to you while it's sitting on the seat next to you in the car appeals to me, but I agree that the choice of narrator makes a world of difference.

A novel that I actually prefer as an audio book is the Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte.

If you're not familiar with this book I can highly recommend it. While it's not exactly historical fiction per se, it is a thriller set in the world of antiquarian bookselling and is packed with all kinds of gritty and fascinating historical details about Alexander Dumas, Raphael Sabatini and the quest for a forbidden book that might have the power to summon the devil.

The audio book is performed (an apt description) by David Warner, the British actor who was the baddy in Titanic. His narration of the book is an absolute kick and makes for a totally rivetting experience.

Now if only I could hire David Warner to perform my book!

Vaughn

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Thu August 19th, 2010, 4:03 pm

There's not a single medium I can think of that advertisers don't find a way to invade, take over, otherwise dilute or spoil the effectivenss of. Enhanced books will become another delivery mechanism for barraging us with hype and pop culture drivel. WSJ is running an article today entitled "Get Ready for Ads in Books".

I'm not opposed to enhanced books, but extra content has to be worth my time (and my time is limited) and augment the reading material in a substantive and valuable way. I can't remember the last time I watched any of the extra stuff that comes on DVDs these days, but I would expect enhanced books to be developed in a similar way with more fluff than actual substance.

Return to “General Discussion”