Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

the dog in the night-time

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon November 10th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Congratulations on parenthood!
What was the grand total in the end?
How many nipples do bitches have - are there going to be enough to go round?
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon November 10th, 2008, 6:20 pm

The grand total appears to be ten. My she has big litters -- and she was from a litter of only four! Fortunately Niffler has ten nipples. Eight is the usual number -- or at least that's what my childhood companion, a weimeraner bitch, had.

I have lots of enthusiastic emails from the families we sold her last round of puppies to, plus a new (or new to us, anyway) ranch truck from the proceeds. So I can't say that I'm sorry about the whole episode, although as a (former) llama breeder it seems like this many offspring in so short a time has got to be hard on her system. I'm still shaking my head at the numbers -- twenty-two puppies in one year. It takes a whole year to cook ONE llama cria, and another year before you can sell it. These puppies just fly out the door like hotcakes, and I don't have to hold the new owner's hand for the next five years, either.

I suppose it helps that I only ask half the going rate. Since we got involved in our friends' relief work, I haven't been able to even suggest that people should pay $1000 for a pet. I always want to hand them some orphanage sponsorship pictures -- Kenya, Ecuador, Ukraine, China, how about a kid instead?Image

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon November 10th, 2008, 6:26 pm

Pictures, we want pictures before they go to the new homes!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Mon November 10th, 2008, 6:32 pm

Ooh, congrats MLE !
Puppies are so cute, I too hope you can post some pictures !

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Tue November 11th, 2008, 3:52 am

Oh wow! Please put up some pics! I would love another puppy, but we have decided that when Penny departs, she will not be replaced.......that is what we have decided now......!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue November 11th, 2008, 5:18 am

I stink at the picture part of internet skills. I still have to sort through the flickr or photobucket protocols. Problem is, I've signed up twice and forgotten my password. Now they won't let me in. Sometimes it seems each new computer program I have to learn seems to displace the last one in my aged brain.
But this weekend I will try to get one of the kids to take and post puppy pictures. If you need help with something tech, ask somebody under 30. Under 20 is even better! :D

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue November 11th, 2008, 8:14 am

If you want to email the pictures to me, and I will post them for you.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”