Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Pillars of the Earth on Starz

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Wed July 28th, 2010, 4:17 pm

"cw gortner" wrote:I thought that, too. She's very Linda Blair-ish. However, when it comes to casting, who knows what they think? The choice for Jane Seymour in The Tudors was bizarre, too: she looked like Cinderella Barbie!

Speaking of which, I actually miss The Tudors and Rhys-Meyers' scowl. It was my Sunday night gown fest!
And TruBlood this season is just too bloody - no pun intended - to the point of ugh.

Linda Blair-- that's it!! I knew I had seen her "face"before. I miss JRM too-guess I'll have to content myself with the DVDs at least until The Borgias starts.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Thu July 29th, 2010, 6:43 pm

"EC2" wrote:Trust me C.W. you don't want to. I thought it was okay-ish the first time around. Then I read it for a group read 10 years later and :eek: :eek: I expect I'd have a similar response if I tried to read Kathleen Woodiwiss now when I couldn't keep away from her novels in my late teens.

Ok, something really random, but I'm named after Heather's mother Brenna from Kathleen Woodiwiss Flame and the Flower
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Mini series used in "enhanced" Pillars edition for iPad

Postby fljustice » Thu July 29th, 2010, 7:30 pm

I posted a new thread about "enhanced" books in the General Discussion topics, but thought I'd add a comment to this thread. An article in the New York Times today (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/29/books/29ebook.html?scp=1&sq=nixonland&st=cse) discusses the new iPad edition of Pillars of the Earth which is enhanced with video and music from the miniseries, interviews with Ken Follet, "behind the scenes" stuff on costumes and sets and much more. Almost makes me want to reread the book (on iPad!) :eek:
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Sun August 1st, 2010, 12:34 am

Just watched the third episode, and the pace is picking up nicely.

It kinda follows the Tudors school of historcial accuracy, but, like The Tudors, it's a lot of fun. :D And it's always a pleasure to see Rufus wielding his hammer...
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Allie ~ Hist-Fic Chick
Scribbler

Postby Allie ~ Hist-Fic Chick » Sun August 1st, 2010, 4:18 pm

I'm enjoying it, too. And I agree with the Tudors school of history comparison. But, yes, The Tudors is fun!
Visit me on my blog, Hist-Fic Chick!

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Sun August 1st, 2010, 6:38 pm

"Leo62" wrote:Just watched the third episode, and the pace is picking up nicely.

It kinda follows the Tudors school of historcial accuracy, but, like The Tudors, it's a lot of fun. :D And it's always a pleasure to see Rufus wielding his hammer...

I completely agree!
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 10:38 am

File The Tudors under guilty pleasure I think!
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Fri August 13th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Just read that Channel 4 will be showing POTE later this year.
Currently reading "A Trail through Time" by Jodi Taylor & "Angel" by L J Ross

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Sat August 14th, 2010, 12:31 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:Just read that Channel 4 will be showing POTE later this year.

Yay!

Though unfortunately it will mean ad-breaks. :mad:
listen:there's a hell

of a good universe next door;let's go

ee cummings

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Pillars series

Postby Berengaria » Sun August 15th, 2010, 7:38 pm

"Rowan" wrote:Not sure if anyone here knows about this or cares, because I know Starz isn't a very popular US cable network (like HBO and Showtime), but beginning this Friday, there is going to be an 8-part series on the Ken Follet novel.

Here in Canada, we are watching it on Movie Central. Parts of it are different from the book which is okay by me. Some of the scenes are very graphic: I'm glad it's realistic. The lady playing the Empress Matilda does not match the mature dark haired woman as described in the book. I always have difficulty with Rupert Sewell's voice, don't know why, and he is too slight for Tom the Builder. All in all, though, my husband and I are enjoying the series! :)
User signature picture My 4 girls!

[SIZE="1"]
[/SIZE]
“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”