Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

registering for copyright

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Helen_Davis
Compulsive Reader

registering for copyright

Postby Helen_Davis » Sat July 17th, 2010, 12:03 pm

at the Library of Congress..

As I've said before, I've written and in the process of writing some alternate history novels told through the eyes of mainly fictional queens and noblewomen in an alternate history beginning on the premise if Cleopatra and Antony had won the Battle of Actium. The only non fictional narrator is Cleopatra VII. Anyway, to get to my question, I do want to go about the traditional route of trying to get it published(queries, agents) but I wanted to know if before that, I could register for copyright at the LOC before I sent my manuscript to friends and family members and editors to look for continuity, plot issues, grammar, etc.-- so that they couldn't steal it(I'm not unbiased when it comes to my own work.) Am I allowed to do this, or will an agent consider it already published if I do this? Any help will be appreciated!
http://evaperonnovel.wordpress.com

"The first time a book has gotten us close to Evita, in all her misery and all her splendor."
Excerpt from the Spanish summary of my novel

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat July 17th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Copyright and publishing are totally seperate. So there's no problem registering it first and then getting it published.

Return to “The Writing Business”