Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Should Anne Frank's life be novelised? With added steam?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
robinbird79
Avid Reader

Postby robinbird79 » Tue July 13th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Like Susan said, its not the novelized part that I don't like, its the "added steam" part that turns me off. Completely! There really is no reason for doing that other than to try to sell something and make money. If she had wanted to write a story about teenagers in hiding during WWII having a "relationship" she should have made up characters.

I also think it would be very hard to put her story in novel form and keep it true to Anne herself. Her diary does such a wonderful job of telling her story that I think it would be hard to write it as a novel and keep it true.

And putting modern values on things that happened in the 40s??? Ugh.
Last edited by robinbird79 on Tue July 13th, 2010, 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue July 13th, 2010, 9:22 pm

"Libby" wrote:That is disgusting. I hope nobody buys this book.

But they will. Look at Wind Done Gone. That book was horribly written and people still bought it.

I never read Anne Frank's book. Never had any desire to, to be honest. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I can understand an author wanting to add a twist to a well known tale. And the truth of the matter is no one really knows if they did it or not. Still, I can understand how people are outraged by this author doing it.

In the end I have no real opinion on the matter. However, I will see if my students want me to buy this book.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Tue July 13th, 2010, 9:36 pm

"Divia" wrote:And the truth of the matter is no one really knows if they did it or not.

I'm not sure what you mean here? :confused:

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue July 13th, 2010, 11:35 pm

"Michy" wrote:I'm not sure what you mean here? :confused:

they might have had sex.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Wed July 14th, 2010, 12:27 am

One of Anne's cousins is still alive.
Sounds like this should be a pass. Besides the diary, there are the movies and a play. That seems like enough for me!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Wed July 14th, 2010, 1:17 am

It was most likely a journalist - not the author - who used the term "added steam," which makes the whole project sound disgusting. But if the author's considered opinion after reading the complete version of the diary is that Anne and Peter did have sex, and if she writes the scene tastefully, I don't think her novel would necessarily be hideously inappropriate. A great deal of time has passed (even if a cousin of Anne's is still alive) and Anne was a human girl, not a plaster saint. If the scene is not handled in a prurient, voyeuristic manner, there may be some value in presenting Anne's story in a more complete way (as the author evidently believes she is doing). Different people will feel differently about this - some readers prefer not to read any sex scenes at all in their fiction, which is a perfectly reasonable choice. But much modern fiction does include sex, which is a huge and hugely emotional part of human life and something readers can have legitimate reasons for wanting to understand better through the medium of fiction.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Wed July 14th, 2010, 1:39 am

Sex or no sex, I can't think of anything worthwhile that any author (no matter how good) could add to Anne's story. Her diary is not just a piece of literature, it is an icon. If any of Anne's family -- say, her father -- had chosen to write a book about their family or their experiences, that would have been different. But he didn't (at least, not that I know of). Not knowing if Anne and Peter had sex, and not knowing the even bigger question of who tipped off the SS to their hiding place, are part of their story and should be left as-is.

But then, I am one for leaving icons as-is, even if it means not ever knowing the answers to all the questions. I refused to read the sequel to Gone With the Wind because it wasn't written by Margaret Mitchell.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed July 14th, 2010, 2:07 am

If you read the articles, you will see that Anne and Peter do not "go all the way" in this new novel. Also the author claims that the one surviving cousin was consulted throughout the writing of the book and wished her luck with it.

Ultimately the sales will show how many people are offended and how many are not.

The idea is disrespectful to Anne's memory, but what bothers me the most is this: "Dogar...suggested that 'there is no one truth alone.'" Really? How many truths are there? And how true are they?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed July 14th, 2010, 2:09 am

Anne was a real person, and therefore the golden rule applies: which of us would like to have our lives fictionalized, presented with conjecture and 'added steam' after we were gone, with no input from ourselves?

A writer of fiction can invent any people they want to, for heaven's sake! Defaming the dead is done mostly to grab money and attention for works that otherwise might not be worth a read.

Of course, defamation always has been one sure way to make a little money writing. And prostitution has always been one way to make money on sex. But is it worth it?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Wed July 14th, 2010, 2:45 am

As Margaret said she was a human girl with human emotions. I dislike the idea of making historical figures saints. I'm sure she lusted, hated, loved, cried etc. etc.

The more I think about it the more I don't see the harm in this story. How is this different than the countless Pride & Prejudice spin offs?

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”