Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Freda Lightfoot

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Freda Lightfoot

Postby Ariadne » Mon July 12th, 2010, 1:35 am

I had Hostage Queen on preorder with BD, but they cancelled it unexpectedly - don't know why. Sounds like I should get it back in my cart ...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Mon July 12th, 2010, 2:06 am

"Ariadne" wrote:I had Hostage Queen on preorder with BD, but they cancelled it unexpectedly - don't know why. Sounds like I should get it back in my cart ...

I wish the story had gone further into Margot's life (will there be a sequel?), but I liked what I read. Library ordered several copies so there is always ILL...
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Mon July 12th, 2010, 2:11 am

I could do ILL, but I'm not the best library patron - I get spoiled b/c where I work, faculty don't pay overdue fines :D Plus I collect royalty novels, so I'll probably want to buy this one and the next one too.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Mon July 12th, 2010, 7:25 am

Interesting - I hadn't realised Freda Lightfoot did HF , though I have read quite a few of her sagas.

Didn't the Valois madness come from the Bourbon line? Charles VI's mother Joanna of Bourbonhad serious bouts of mental instability, and it was endemic in her family.
Last edited by annis on Mon July 12th, 2010, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Freda Lightfoot

Postby Misfit » Mon July 12th, 2010, 3:12 pm

I just finished Hostage Queen (review here). I enjoyed it, and I very much appreciate her not succumbing to the temptation of sexing it up. Annis has mentioned her other books, sagas she called them. Perhaps she could enlighten me a bit further ;)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Mon July 12th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Mon July 12th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Think modern inheritor of the Catherine Cookson tradition, Misfit, though not as melodramatic as CC. If you read some of the synopses of her series listed on Fantastic Fiction, you'll get the drift.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/freda-lightfoot

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Mon July 12th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Thanks ladies, I'll check into it.

Freda
Scribbler

Postby Freda » Wed July 14th, 2010, 8:18 am

Hi everyone, glad you enjoyed HQ. Madness must have been endemic in the family as Charles VI, son of Joan of Bourbon and Charles V, was known as Charles the Mad. And yes, there is a sequel. Margot's story continues in The Reluctant Queen, together with that of Gabriel d'Estrees. Out in September in hard back. HQ is out in paperback at the end of the year. The third in the trilogy will be the Queen and the Courtesan.
Best wishes,
Freda

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed July 14th, 2010, 11:20 am

"Freda" wrote:Hi everyone, glad you enjoyed HQ. Madness must have been endemic in the family as Charles VI, son of Joan of Bourbon and Charles V, was known as Charles the Mad. And yes, there is a sequel. Margot's story continues in The Reluctant Queen, together with that of Gabriel d'Estrees. Out in September in hard back. HQ is out in paperback at the end of the year. The third in the trilogy will be the Queen and the Courtesan.
Best wishes,
Freda

Goody, I was hoping it wasn't over.

Return to “By Author”