Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Interesting thoughts about reader reviews

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Postby N. Gemini Sasson » Wed July 14th, 2010, 1:19 pm

"fljustice" wrote:When I write personal reviews at reader sites like Library Thing or Amazon, again, I tend to write only positive reviews. Like everyone, I have limited time and basically only write reviews of those books that I really like and want to let others know about. The point being if someone looked at my reviews and saw they were all positive they might assume I give positive reviews to everything I read, which just ain't so...

I've adopted the same policy, Faith. I'm not one to push myself to read a book all the way through if I'm not enjoying it early on. So when I do post a review, it's something that I truly liked and felt I could endorse. Sometimes I even pass up books that are truly well-written, but just aren't the style of writing or subject matter I prefer.

That being said, I do think there is a place for negative reader reaction/reviews - as long as they remain about the story and put it in constructive terms, like the pacing was too slow, the plot too complex to follow, etc., rather than 'boring' and 'confusing'. If I'm a reader glancing over reviews, I find reactions that inform me as to the specifics to be more helpful. So it's not necessarily what is said, but how it's said.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Thu July 15th, 2010, 9:06 pm

"N. Gemini Sasson" wrote:That being said, I do think there is a place for negative reader reaction/reviews - as long as they remain about the story and put it in constructive terms, like the pacing was too slow, the plot too complex to follow, etc., rather than 'boring' and 'confusing'. If I'm a reader glancing over reviews, I find reactions that inform me as to the specifics to be more helpful. So it's not necessarily what is said, but how it's said.

I totally agree and specifics make the critique, especially when it's a "not my cup of tea because..." What is boring and confusing to one person might be sparkling and lucid to another. When my daughter was looking for colleges and was trolling the forums, I told her to read the negatives as well as the positives. When a post said, "I hated this school - no partying and they made us work too hard" that one would go on her prospect list! ;)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

Return to “Chat”