Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Spanish Naming Practices

emr
Compulsive Reader

Postby emr » Mon July 12th, 2010, 7:35 pm

"MLE" wrote:EMR, thanks for that useful website! Is there an equivalent for Castilian names?

How very annoying that the only site I can find right now is one that looks like a videogame: :rolleyes:
http://heraldicahispana.com/ApA/BiblioA.htm
Its general though, not specific of castilian names.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon July 12th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Her mother was nobility, just not in Aragon.

At least I have some wiggle room on this as I'm not writing a heart-breaking work of staggering historical significance. Still, I'm trying for more authenticity than the first book in the trilogy had.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon July 12th, 2010, 7:44 pm

"emr" wrote:Oh I understand the kid can have her fathers surname but not any given names from that branch of the family if the mother is not from the nobility. Given names are directly related to hereditary rights.
This is a good list of surnames from Aragon. I wish you good luck with google translate... ;)
http://www.armoria.info/libro_de_armoria/a/1/

Thanks everyone for your help. And thanks for the link, emr.

Now...how do I use Google translate for this?

emr
Compulsive Reader

Postby emr » Mon July 12th, 2010, 11:12 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:Thanks everyone for your help. And thanks for the link, emr.

Now...how do I use Google translate for this?

Go to the google page and click on the language tools link.
Down there there is an option to translate a web page. Copy your link and select spanish to english. I suggest you to open a parallel page with the original because it tries to translate the surnames as well.
"So many books, so little time."

— Frank Zappa

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue July 13th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Aha. Thanks, emr. Google Translate rocks!

Return to “Questions and Research”