Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Red Queen

stumpy
Reader

Postby stumpy » Wed July 14th, 2010, 6:39 pm

"Misfit" wrote:I received a message from Goodreads,

My mind is blank, anyone want to throw something out there?

Keeping my fingers crossed TRQ shows up on this month's Vine newsletter. We are not required to keep our traps shut until publication date, the earlier the better says Ammy.

Are there any supernatural forces of ANY description in The Red Queen?

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Wed July 14th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Just Margaret's divine visions (as a child, she imagines herself as a Joan of Arc-type figure) and some business with Elizabeth Woodville and her daughter calling out to water spirits for aid. I think that's all.

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Postby Jemidar » Thu July 15th, 2010, 4:58 pm

"boswellbaxter" wrote:Just don't turn it into a drinking game. We don't want you ladies to turn into lushes.

What a good idea! I hadn't thought of that :D :p :eek: .

"Divia" wrote:I think everyone universally hated the Other Queen.

I liked it :p . Bess of Hardwick fascinated me as did her relationship with her husband.

"boswellbaxter" wrote:I must say, I'm rather looking forward to this one.

So am I. Even more so now I get to take a swig every time Melusine is mentioned :D
Jenny
[SIZE=2]
"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
[/SIZE]
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Currently Reading:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Thu July 15th, 2010, 5:18 pm

"Jemidar" wrote:

So am I. Even more so now I get to take a swig every time Melusine is mentioned :D

Alas, I've been told she doesn't get much of a workout here. Maybe you can sit down with Rosemary Hawley Jarman's The King's Grey Mare instead.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Thu July 15th, 2010, 5:24 pm

"Jemidar" wrote:So am I. Even more so now I get to take a swig every time Melusine is mentioned :D

Might want to change the rules of the game for Margaret Beaufort, as you won't get more than a couple swigs out of Melusine mentions. Try for pronouncements of her God-given destiny and you may be happier :D

I've read a few reviews that mention how they didn't find Margaret likeable or sympathetic because she's so devout, but that rang historically true for me. I liked her a lot, and though there were times I didn't approve of her actions, I could understand them. There aren't many heroines in modern historicals who are both pious and ambitious, and Gregory brought her to life without gratuitous sex scenes (which would've felt inappropriate in her case).
Last edited by Ariadne on Thu July 15th, 2010, 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Thu July 15th, 2010, 5:42 pm

"Ariadne" wrote:Might want to change the rules of the game for Margaret Beaufort, as you won't get more than a couple swigs out of Melusine mentions. Try for pronouncements of her God-given destiny and you may be happier :D

I've read a few reviews that mention how they didn't find Margaret likeable or sympathetic because she's so devout, but that rang historically true for me. I liked her a lot, and though there were times I didn't approve of her actions, I could understand them. There aren't many heroines in modern historicals who are both pious and ambitious, and Gregory brought her to life without gratuitous sex scenes (which would've felt inappropriate in her case).

I'm getting so curious about this one!

Someone over at the Philippa Gregory forum said that she has books planned about the Neville sisters--any truth in this, do you know?

Never mind! I found the interview where Gregory says this:

http://www.philippagregory.com/work/plantaganet/the-red-queen/
Susan Higginbotham

Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Thu July 15th, 2010, 5:56 pm

"boswellbaxter" wrote:Someone over at the Philippa Gregory forum said that she has books planned about the Neville sisters--any truth in this, do you know?

Interesting. I haven't heard anything about that, but I like the idea of going with lesser-known figures. There's a new interview posted on her website in which she talks about her next book (The Rivers Woman), about Jacquetta's early life.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Thu July 15th, 2010, 6:06 pm

Funny, I missed reading that part of the interview because the page didn't load all the way on my PC! And hmm, now that I see how she phrased it, I see she's talking about Anne and Isobel Neville. For some weird reason I was thinking about Cecily Neville and her siblings, who would've been more obscure, at least for fiction.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu July 15th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Might want to change the rules of the game for Margaret Beaufort, as you won't get more than a couple swigs out of Melusine mentions. Try for pronouncements of her God-given destiny and you may be happier

Oh lord. Darn it, it didn't show up on today's Vine newsletter. There was a Follett book but I decided to pass.....
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Fri July 16th, 2010, 12:33 am

"Ariadne" wrote:Funny, I missed reading that part of the interview because the page didn't load all the way on my PC! And hmm, now that I see how she phrased it, I see she's talking about Anne and Isobel Neville. For some weird reason I was thinking about Cecily Neville and her siblings, who would've been more obscure, at least for fiction.

Cecily probably would have been a better choice especially since several books have been done about Anne (although a lot of them are now out of print) but maybe she didn't want to have to follow Anne Easter Smith whose next book is about Cecily (due for release next spring).

Return to “Philippa Gregory”