Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

UK treasure hunter finds 52,000 Roman coins

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

UK treasure hunter finds 52,000 Roman coins

Postby Rowan » Thu July 8th, 2010, 5:03 pm

Some day I'm going to buy me a metal detector. I just told my friend that a cousin of mine used to sell them. Very nice ones. The kind that will show you what's in the soil, too. :D Though I can't imagine what a "funny signal" might be coming from a metal detector that's actually detected metal. :confused: :confused: :confused:

LONDON – A treasure hunter has found about 52,500 Roman coins, one of the largest such discoveries ever in Britain, officials said Thursday.

The hoard, which was valued at 3.3 million pounds ($5 million), includes hundreds of coins bearing the image of Marcus Aurelius Carausius, who seized power in Britain and northern France in the late third century and proclaimed himself emperor.

Dave Crisp, a treasure hunter using a metal detector, located the coins in April in a field in southwestern England, according to the Somerset County Council and the Portable Antiquities Scheme.

The coins were buried in a large jar about a foot (30 centimeters) deep and weighed about 160 kilograms (350 pounds) in all.

Crisp said a "funny signal" from his metal detector prompted him to start digging.

Full Story/Source

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Thu July 8th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Talk about hitting the jackpot :)

Rosemary Sutcliff's novel The Silver Branch deals with the tenure of Carausius and his overthrow by the usurper, Allectus. It certainly was a turbulent period

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Wow!

Postby parthianbow » Fri July 9th, 2010, 3:57 pm

Oh wow, oh wow! Thanks for posting, Rowan. The article mentions Somerset county council, which is the county I live in. That means it was found not too far away. Exciting! :D
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Fri July 9th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Truly amazing! We don't have stuff like that in Wisconsin.

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Fri July 9th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Great find....I wonder what the story is behind the coins being buried?.....Britain must have been very unstable......

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Postby Rowan » Sat July 10th, 2010, 1:13 pm

"LoveHistory" wrote:Truly amazing! We don't have stuff like that in Wisconsin.

Oh now I wouldn't say that LoveHistory. You don't know what you might find until you get out there with a metal detector.

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Sat July 10th, 2010, 2:43 pm

"Rowan" wrote:Oh now I wouldn't say that LoveHistory. You don't know what you might find until you get out there with a metal detector.

Well, whatever you might find, it's pretty safe to say it won't be ancient Roman coins! ;)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Sat July 10th, 2010, 4:20 pm

Around here it's more likely I'd find old beer cans, and while they might be considered collectible, they wouldn't be worth much. ;)

Return to “History in the News”