Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

For the King by Catherine Delors

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Postby Catherine Delors » Mon August 16th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Must be this one, Michy, started by the lovely Moppet:
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3663

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Mon August 16th, 2010, 9:32 pm

That's it! Thank you! I think re-reading that thread will be very helpful....

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Postby Catherine Delors » Mon August 16th, 2010, 10:08 pm

If you want more background info, I have recently written a series of posts on several issues that appear in the novel. Check out my blog!

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Fri August 20th, 2010, 11:12 pm

My mother is 5'11" and once when she and my father were traveling in Mexico, they were walking down the street, and a man (much shorter than she was, naturally) got so mesmerized by her unusual height that he didn't watch where he was going and fell into a pothole in the sidewalk.

Most of my own height (5'9" - but probably more like 5'10" after a good acupuncture treatment) comes from my mother's side. On my father's side, I found some discharge papers from the Confederate Army for a great-great-grandfather of mine which gave his height as 5'2".

Height is very, very sensitive to a child's nutritional status, and generally we're much better fed in the Western world today than in past centuries - although I've read that our present day nutrition, with so many fast foods and empty calories, may be declining enough that many in the current generation of young folks may be shorter than their parents. I'm also pretty sure that I read somewhere that the tallest people in the world, currently, are the Danes. A typical Danish woman would be taller than any of us who have described ourselves as tall on this thread.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Sat August 21st, 2010, 1:21 am

Catherine posted a link upthread to an interesting article in Wikipedia about height. I looked at the chart, and was surprised to see that the tallest people on average are not from any of the Scandinavian countries -- that's what I would have expected.

Although height often does run in families, it's been my observation that, just as often, the genetics of height are pretty quirky. It's that way in my own case. And some of my friends' children I totally expected to be tall -- and they're not. And other couples who are not tall, have children who tower over both mom and dad. :confused: I guess that's what makes genetics so fascinating, is the "wild card" element of it!

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”