Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Guy Gavriel Kay/Jacqueline Carey

Doug
Scribbler

Guy Gavriel Kay/Jacqueline Carey

Postby Doug » Sun July 4th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Anyone here a fan, as I am, of Guy Gavriel Kay or Jacqueline Carey? Their books are fantasy, though generally based on a recognizable but skewed period in our own history. Carey's books may be a bit much for some readers in terms of sexuality, but it fits within the world she's created. Oddly enough, they've both had books published in the last few months that are each set in altered historical Chinas and the surrounding lands -- "Under Heaven" by Kay and "Naamah's Curse" by Carey. Both quite a bit different from each other, but both very good.

Doug

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Postby Anna Elliott » Sun July 4th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Doug, I actually just started to read Jacqueline Carey, and am really enjoying her. I was initially a bit leery of picking up her books because of the sexuality themes, like you say, but it does fit into her world, and she does an amazing job of building that world. I've finished Kushiel's Dart and will definitely check out her other books.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]
Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)
[/COLOR]
User signature picture

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Mon July 5th, 2010, 12:28 am

I have enjoyed both authors. Have Under Heaven in my TBR and have read most of his alt historicals. Also read the first book of Carey's Naamah trilogy. I really enjoyed her Kushiel books, but feel the original trilogy was her best. I also liked the SF novel she wrote with the female boxer (tiitle escapes me right now).

Doug
Scribbler

Postby Doug » Mon July 5th, 2010, 3:55 am

I would agree that the original trilogy by Carey was the best, but I've found them all enjoyable.

I've yet to decide which of Kay's books I like best. They all have something to recommend them, and are often quite different from each other.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Postby parthianbow » Mon July 5th, 2010, 7:56 am

Funny someone should mention Guy Gavriel Kay on this forum! His Fionavar tapestry is one of the finest set of books I've ever read; they are some of the very few fantasy books that I have bothered keeping since I stopped reading the genre. His writing has a beautiful, lyrical quality which is rarely matched, and which often has the capacity to reduce me to tears. I've also read and greatly enjoyed some of his other books - A Song for Arbonne (title?) about medieval France, and The Lions of Al Rassan about Moorish Spain, and had seen that he had a new book out. Thanks for bringing it up - another one for Mt. TBR.

I'd not heard of Carey before, I'll have to look out for her books too.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Mon July 5th, 2010, 2:27 pm

For me, Kay has yet to top Tigana. Of the rest, I enjoyed the two Sarantium books the most.

Doug
Scribbler

Postby Doug » Mon July 5th, 2010, 3:53 pm

"Tigana" was great, and the plot unique, but Kay really pulled it off well.

Alex Worthy
Scribbler

Postby Alex Worthy » Thu August 12th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Doug, thanks for mentioning Under Heaven. I just finished it and it is a great book. Just got A Song for Arbonne from the library.

Greg
Reader

Postby Greg » Sat April 23rd, 2011, 4:58 am

Guy Gavriel Kay is perhaps my favourite Historical Fantasy writer, I appreciate his excellent blend of historial events and people then placing them in an imagined areana. I fear that he has ruined me for the more ordinary fantasy I used to read which I tend to find flat and colourless.
The three standouts are Song of Arbonne, Lions of Al-Rassan and the Sarantine books.
Of all his works I can recommend these as the most fitting for any historical fiction reader.

Regards Greg

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sat April 23rd, 2011, 1:49 pm

Hee, funny you should mention him now; I just finished the Mosaic books and loved them. They were recommended here by someone who knew I was interested in the Byzanntium time period. I was going to come on and ask what other books by him were good. I think you just answered my question :)

Return to “Historical Fantasy”