Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Howdy from the Wilds of the Chicago suburbs

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
Doug
Scribbler

Howdy from the Wilds of the Chicago suburbs

Postby Doug » Sun July 4th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Greetings all!

My wife & I are based in the NW Chicago suburbs, where we live with a variety of amphibious companions and a chinchilla. We both tend to read a lot, though her tastes generally run to SF and fantasy. I read a ton of that as well, but also enjoy HF quite a bit.

My favorite era is ancient, though anything up through the Napoleonic Wars may catch my eye. I'm a big fan of several of the Roman mystery series out there, such as those by Lindsey Davis, Steven Saylor and John Madox Roberts. I know there's varying views on it, but I really enjoyed the Colleen McCullough Rome series. Love most anything written by Bernard Cornwell, from his Warlord series to the Sharpe books, though my favorite Arthurian series is probably that by Jack Whyte. Before the period of the Middle Ages, I tend to read a wide variety of material; after that period, I tend to focus on either mysteries or Napoleonic era nautical fiction, including Patrick O'Brian, C.S. Forester and Alexander Kent (thought the earlier Bolitho series was great, though they ended up declining rather precipitously, in my opinion).

I'm a collector of the old pulp magazines from the first half of the 20th century, and a lot of my favorite authors appeared there, though many haven't seen their work reprinted in book form. Among those that I really like are Talbot Mundy and Arthur O. Friel, and with a HF focus, Harold Lamb, Arthur Howden Smith, Farnham Bishop and Arthur Gilchrist Brodeur. In particular, I have a great deal of fondness for Adventure magazine -- during the period from around 1917-1927, I think it was the best pulp magazine ever published. We've been fortunate in the past few years to see a lot of Lamb's stuff from there come back into print, and I'm working to get more authors from Adventure reprinted through Black Dog Books, most of which will be HF.

I look forward to chatting with everyone on the forums!

Doug

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun July 4th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Hi Doug, glad to have you here.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun July 4th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Welcome Doug! I have a few buddies in other forums who are from Chicago and surrounding; sounds like a place I'd like to visit someday.

I am always looking for some good stories that take place pre or early Roman/Greek, that are not Egyptian. Esp stories from Carthage, Tyre, Etruscan, any others in that area. Any suggestions?

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Sun July 4th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Hi Doug, welcome to the forums! I'm a few hours south of Chicago (Charleston to be specific) and read both HF and fantasy, but mostly the former. You'll find a lot of great discussions here.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun July 4th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Hi Doug,
What a work of love, getting the old HF back into print. Readers will love you for it, although some modern HF writers may find themselves with stiff competition. Especially for readers who prefer the sexual aspect of history a little less explicit than the current publishing world seems to think necessary.

Doug
Scribbler

Postby Doug » Sun July 4th, 2010, 8:04 pm

There's no question that the field has changed significantly in the past 100 years when it comes to sexuality -- since my reading these days tends to be half and half, it's really apparent to me pretty much every week. Though a lot of the older HF had romance elements, that's really what it was, romance, and the culmination of that was left well off screen. Frankly, I tend to like both approaches, if they're well written and if the modern stuff isn't too over the top.

Ash, have you tried David Gemmell's recent trilogy about Troy? He's best known as a fantasy writer, but I thought this series was excellent. Unfortunately he passed away just before he finished it, but his wife completed it. Another suggestion -- Mary Gentle's "Ash" is really historically based fantasy, but Carthage plays a major role in it. And "In the Grip of the Minotaur" by Farnham Bishop and Arthur Gilchrist Brodeur finds a group of ancient Northmen encountering Troy and Minoan Crete (this was originally written in 1916 and appeared in Adventure magazine, and is one of the HF tales from there that I worked on getting back into print).

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Postby Elizabeth » Sun July 4th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Hi, Doug,

Welcome to the forums! I was born and grew up in Rockford, so I'm familiar with the "wilds" out around the fringes of Chicago. The Black Dog Books project sounds really interesting.
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

Doug
Scribbler

Postby Doug » Sun July 4th, 2010, 8:53 pm

I'm about 40 minutes outside Rockford -- did you ever go to the used bookstore, Toad Hall, while you were there? Huge place that rambled through two houses; now sadly gone.

Another recommendation, Ash, for early Greek stories, would be the series by H.N. Turteltaub around 310 B.C. Turtelbaub is a penname of Harry Turtledove, and his anthology, "The First Heroes: New Tales of the Bronze Age" might also be of interest -- many good authors in that one.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Sun July 4th, 2010, 9:09 pm

Thanks for the rec - in my younger days I was reading all sci fi/fantasy all the time, and was recently turned on to one I didn't catch - Poul Anderson's Time Patrol series. So I suspect I'd have no trouble with Gemmel and Mary Gentle. I've tried looking for Turtledove, his are not easy books to find, tho I haven't tried recently. I'll check out that series, Thanks.

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Postby Elizabeth » Sun July 4th, 2010, 10:08 pm

"Doug" wrote:I'm about 40 minutes outside Rockford -- did you ever go to the used bookstore, Toad Hall, while you were there? Huge place that rambled through two houses; now sadly gone.

It was on Broadway, right? I haven't lived in Rockford for mmmmphty-mmmmph years although I do visit regularly. I didn't know Toad Hall had closed. I love places like that... we have Half-Price Books here in Dallas although they're at least marginally better organized. :)
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

Return to “Introduce Yourself”