Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Sixth Surrender by Hana Samek Norton

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Fri July 9th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Page 431 still with the dead bunny,

The Queen of England sniffled and clutched the furry carcass to her bosom, a bosom on which a crucifix set with pearls bobbed as if riding the crest of raging waves. "How can I part with Philomena when you will be leaving me as well? Oh, John, I can't bear it."
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Postby Gabriele Campbell » Sat July 10th, 2010, 12:47 am

Which Queen of England and John are that?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat July 10th, 2010, 12:52 am

"Gabriele Campbell" wrote:Which Queen of England and John are that?

John Lackland himself and Isabelle(a). If Michele doesn't surface soon I'm going spoilers ahoy and spilling the big plot twist. I know you all are dying for it ;)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Sat July 10th, 2010, 1:50 am

If Michele doesn't surface soon I'm going spoilers ahoy and spilling the big plot twist. I know you all are dying for it

We are, we are!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Postby Gabriele Campbell » Sat July 10th, 2010, 2:41 am

"Misfit" wrote:John Lackland himself and Isabelle(a).

The author could at least have chosen a lapdog. Fat rabbits just don't have the same impact, at least not on me. I keep thinking Vorpal bunny. :D
Last edited by Gabriele Campbell on Sat July 10th, 2010, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Sat July 10th, 2010, 5:47 am

Or the killer rabbit at the end of Monte Python and the Holy Grail. There's just something naturally humorous about rabbits in juxtaposition with almost anything else.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat July 10th, 2010, 11:43 am

All right, Michele seems to have dropped off the earth, or is off flying airplanes again so I'll spill the beans ;)

SPOILERS AHOY. ENTER AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

Keep scrolling.....

Our hero, who at first glance is this hardcore mercenary with perhaps a heart of gold, turns out to be a son of Armand de Lusignan (why he was kept secret I have no idea - there's also an older secret son who is a Templar!!). Constance wanted revenge on the Plantagenets so she cooked up this scheme with Armand and betrothed Eleanor to his son when they were kids - so now the Lusignans and the Bretons are plotting to toss John and put Eleanor on the throne with the Lusignan son as King of England!!

**End Spoilers*

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat July 10th, 2010, 12:53 pm

I think I forgot to mention, our heroine was so well read in the convent that she got the nickname *Sister Scholastica*.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Sat July 10th, 2010, 3:38 pm

"Misfit" wrote:I think I forgot to mention, our heroine was so well read in the convent that she got the nickname *Sister Scholastica*.

... but it's not completely apparent from the way that she behaves in the book that she's all that intelligent.

BTW, the editor's note at the beginning of the ARC is probably one of the worst I've ever read...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat July 10th, 2010, 4:17 pm

"Kasthu" wrote:... but it's not completely apparent from the way that she behaves in the book that she's all that intelligent.

BTW, the editor's note at the beginning of the ARC is probably one of the worst I've ever read...

Had to go back and reread, it is strange as well as the author's notes - she's rather carefree about the whole thing.

What I thought odd was the only heir being locked up in a nunnery in the first place. Very disappointing.

Return to “Book Buddies”