Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Sixth Surrender by Hana Samek Norton

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Lucy Pick
Scribbler

Postby Lucy Pick » Wed July 7th, 2010, 12:51 am

Vertigo is Latin, so that's kosher for the Middle Ages. Used in English from the early sixteenth century.

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Wed July 7th, 2010, 2:33 am

I'm late to the party, sorry!! I'm starting in on this tomorrow.....plot twists eagerly anticipated.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed July 7th, 2010, 12:39 pm

So what do you think of the MC's? Are they sympathetic? Believable? Is Guerin as big of a jerk as he seems?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Postby Miss Moppet » Thu July 8th, 2010, 7:36 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Oh my page #431. Moppet couldn't have done better with Isabelle.

She wore a gown as pure as cherubims' wings

PASS THE SICK BUCKET

A rabbit called Philomena?

Bobbing bosom?

Oh, and no-one thought of John as John Plantagenet either.

Flowery prose, poor characterisation, cliches, anachronisms. Is this Alison Weir writing under a pen name?

Can't wait for the scene where John and Isabelle lay Philomena to rest.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu July 8th, 2010, 8:05 pm

;) :) :D

Quite a chapter there, eh?
Last edited by Misfit on Thu July 8th, 2010, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Postby Miss Moppet » Thu July 8th, 2010, 8:23 pm

"Misfit" wrote: ;) :) :D

Quite a chapter there, eh?

I'll say. Never mind John frothing at the mouth, I nearly frothed at the mouth reading it.
Last edited by Misfit on Thu July 8th, 2010, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Thu July 8th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Oh, man, i just finished this this morning. More plot twists than on an episode of Lost--and not in a good way either. I kept getting the feeling that the author was writing these plot twists just to make things happen--and none of it made sense! I *loved" that scene where Juliana is running through the tunnel, which has been conveniently been walled up... or the scene in which Isabelle runs away in disguise... none of the plot twists was done particularly well, so i found myself rolling my eyes in a lot of places. That said, though, i appreciate that the author took the story in a direction I never expected... it wasn't particularly welcome, though.

Does anyone remember the Jim Carey movie in everyone but him knows that his life is a reality TV show? I kind of felt like that while reading this book; everyone knew these little bits and pieces of the story but Juliana!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu July 8th, 2010, 9:42 pm

Does anyone remember the Jim Carey movie in everyone but him knows that his life is a reality TV show? I kind of felt like that while reading this book; everyone knew these little bits and pieces of the story but Juliana

I don't recall the show but that's a very apt description. What a dunder head. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way about the plot running all over the place. I got quite lost on occasion.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Fri July 9th, 2010, 1:13 am

First quote (and hopefully more to come as my fingertips dictate ;) )

At John's court in London page 431,

From a side door came a small voice. The crowd parted like the sea before Moses and from it emerged the Queen of England. She wore a gown as pure as cherubims wings, a gown that surely by accident slipped from her shoulder due to a careless maid. The gold flood of her hair, unattended as well, reached to her knees. Tears darkened her eyelashes; her madder-red lips quivered. The crowd watched, dazzled. The queen held out her arms. In them was an infant.

No, not an infant. A rabbit. An enormous, fat, gray rabbit with a white ribbon and a silver bell under its chins. A very placid rabbit.

"They killed her. Your dogs, John. Philomena is dead. She...she died of fright."

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Fri July 9th, 2010, 6:18 am

In them was an infant.

No, not an infant. A rabbit. An enormous, fat, gray rabbit with a white ribbon and a silver bell under its chins. A very placid rabbit.

ROTFLMAO - thanks for the fun!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Book Buddies”