Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Sixth Surrender by Hana Samek Norton

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

The Sixth Surrender by Hana Samek Norton

Postby Misfit » Sun July 4th, 2010, 6:41 pm

I will wait patiently for Kasthu to get started. Eventually this will thread will reach a Here Be Spoilers moment and after that enter at your own risk.

I'm almost done, but while I struggled at the first with the author's portrayal of the medieval period (I'm forever spoiled by EC and Sharon), I decided to take the 'it's just a story after all' attitude and go with it. There was enough funny moments in the bantering between the two MC's that I was doing quite well until the second half.........
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun July 4th, 2010, 7:26 pm

Oh my page #431. Moppet couldn't have done better with Isabelle.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Mon July 5th, 2010, 8:37 pm

50 pages in. So far the author's writing style isn't grabbing me, but there's still time for my mind to change.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Mon July 5th, 2010, 11:06 pm

Hang in there, I really really need to share my thoughts on that plot twist with someone. Michele is supposed to be getting to it any day and joining us as well.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Tue July 6th, 2010, 4:04 am

With my TBR stack the way it is, I think it's safe to say I will not be reading this novel. But after the teasers you've given us, Misfit, I can't resist following this thread - spoilers and all, or maybe spoilers especially!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue July 6th, 2010, 11:06 am

"Margaret" wrote:With my TBR stack the way it is, I think it's safe to say I will not be reading this novel. But after the teasers you've given us, Misfit, I can't resist following this thread - spoilers and all, or maybe spoilers especially!

Anyone who wants to know, please feel free to PM me and I'll spill the beans. I am waiting for Kasthu to come back when she reaches the OMG moment.

This isn't spoilerish so I'll go ahead. At one point John refers to his Norman barons as "numskulls". I couldn't find anything prior to the 1700's, one friend said she found 1600's. I know, I know, it's just fiction get over it :p

Lucy Pick
Scribbler

Postby Lucy Pick » Tue July 6th, 2010, 6:19 pm

OED has nothing earlier than 1697 for numbskull. It does have kind of a Restoration feel to it, doesn't it? I never know quite how to feel about those kinds of language things either. On the one hand, everything is being "translated" into modern English, so of course different diction and language are going to be used. On the other hand, some phrases just throw you out of the period and the book. And then there are those words that sound modern but are perfectly good medieval words. "Dizzy" was one I looked up once.

I'll be watching this thread --- I'm interested to know how this book goes over.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue July 6th, 2010, 6:29 pm

"Lucy Pick" wrote:OED has nothing earlier than 1697 for numbskull. It does have kind of a Restoration feel to it, doesn't it? I never know quite how to feel about those kinds of language things either. On the one hand, everything is being "translated" into modern English, so of course different diction and language are going to be used. On the other hand, some phrases just throw you out of the period and the book. And then there are those words that sound modern but are perfectly good medieval words. "Dizzy" was one I looked up once.

I'll be watching this thread --- I'm interested to know how this book goes over.

I know they were speaking Norman French back then so you can't possibly expect a true experience, but there are times.....

Recently had a heroine in 1492 diagnosed her *patient* with "influenza".

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Postby Kasthu » Tue July 6th, 2010, 11:10 pm

Anyone know the origins of the world "vertigo?" The author uses it at one point in this book, and it seemed a bit out of place.

Still working my way to the plot twist... this had better be good...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed July 7th, 2010, 12:01 am

"Kasthu" wrote:Anyone know the origins of the world "vertigo?" The author uses it at one point in this book, and it seemed a bit out of place.

Still working my way to the plot twist... this had better be good...

I will hear you howling all the way on my side of the continent ;)

Return to “Book Buddies”