Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

market test your writing

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

market test your writing

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat September 6th, 2008, 1:25 am

This is a great new idea from Harper Collins. Some editor is finally using the power of the internet to sort through what is worth reading and what isn't -- which I for one, welcome, seeing as the track record of the professionals in picking good books is pretty spotty.

It also gives writers a chance to get feedback before they are stuck with a published book.

Juniper
Scribbler
Interest in HF: I studied English Literature and History at college. Historical fiction blends my two passions together in one neat package.

Postby Juniper » Sat September 6th, 2008, 1:58 am

This is a fantastic idea!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sat September 6th, 2008, 2:42 pm

That is so rockin. thanks for sharing!!!!!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Sat September 6th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Wow. Such a neat idea!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

TerriPray
Reader

Postby TerriPray » Sat September 6th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Good idea... and yet not so.

Depending on who the author submits to, this can be seen as previously published, just as use on a blog, or website. No first rights have been granted to HC by the use of the system, however until there's feedback from other major publishers on this, I'd not be so certain that this doesn't blow first rights with them.

Terri
Currently reading through submissions ranging from alternative history to science fiction and fantasy.

stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

Postby stu1883 » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 11:30 am

What would be the ramifications (if any) regarding copyright, by uploading chapters here?

Stu

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 1:27 pm

"stu1883" wrote:What would be the ramifications (if any) regarding copyright, by uploading chapters here?

Stu

Here as on this site? Can't tell you about the copyright ramifications, but for legal reasons, we'd prefer that you post your material elsewhere (such as on your own website or blog) and just post a link here.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Fri April 24th, 2009, 1:35 am

"stu1883" wrote:What would be the ramifications (if any) regarding copyright, by uploading chapters here?

Stu

I checked that out and I believe all copyright is retained by the author. It's on the site somewhere in the fine print or FAQ.

Return to “The Writing Business”