Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Swashbucklers and Pulp-Style Adventures

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
chuck
Bibliophile

Flashie Casting

Postby chuck » Wed October 8th, 2008, 5:08 pm

"Margaret" wrote:Mea culpa - Tasmania it is. Wikipedia has a fun entry on Mr. Errol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errol_Flynn.

"Alaric" wrote:Yes, that was his preferred casting for Flashman. Daniel Day-Lewis was the other especially after the way he was kitted out in Gangs of New York.

a few thoughts on who could do justice to Flashman in films...A young Alan Rickman, Tim Roth, or Jude Law....I concur on the other choices and yes EF would been a outstanding Flashie......BC's Sharpe....I would suggest Russel Crowe for starters....
Last edited by chuck on Wed October 8th, 2008, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: addition

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Thu October 9th, 2008, 7:35 am

Nobody else could be Sharpe after Sean Bean. :)

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Thu October 9th, 2008, 11:14 am

Quite true, though I think it's getting ridiculous with these new films showing the middle-aged Sean Bean as Sharpe.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Thu October 9th, 2008, 3:53 pm

I don't mind Sean Bean at any age!Image :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Fri October 10th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Hear, hear, Vanessa!

Though when it comes to the Sharpe series I have to admit that my image of Richard Sharpe as a dark, tall and lean man with hard-faced good looks did keep getting in the way.

chuck
Bibliophile

Sharpie

Postby chuck » Fri October 10th, 2008, 8:44 pm

"annis" wrote:Hear, hear, Vanessa!

Though when it comes to the Sharpe series I have to admit that my image of Richard Sharpe as a dark, tall and lean man with hard-faced good looks did keep getting in the way.

I always liked BC's description of Sharpe's uniform; breeches with leather inset taken from a dead French Cavalry officer, the nasty looking sword and that facial scar that gave him a hard look.....and of course his warm and fuzzy personality...not.....really like Sean Bean's many films....His Sharpe had the right edge, attitude, but something was lacking...Some BBC productions were better than others.....Wish they would do a major film on some of BC's Sharpe novels ..Wishful thinking......BTW....SB was an excellent Boromir LOTR

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Fri October 10th, 2008, 11:20 pm

SB would make a great Viking or Anglo-Saxon warrior - maybe they'll do a TV series of the Uhtred stories?

Poor Margaret, you accidentally stepped in it by calling Errol Flynn a New Zealander! Although Aussies and Kiwis are family there's a goodly amount of sibling rivalry between them, especially when it comes to sport :) Sometimes we compete in claiming famous people, like Russell Crowe, who was born in New Zealand but grew up in Australia.

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Sat October 11th, 2008, 4:16 am

"Vanessa" wrote:I don't mind Sean Bean at any age!Image :D

Not exactly buyable as a young man any more though. :p

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Sat October 11th, 2008, 5:24 pm

LOL, Annis. A bit like the U.S. and Canada.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon October 13th, 2008, 6:39 am

"annis" wrote:SB would make a great Viking or Anglo-Saxon warrior - maybe they'll do a TV series of the Uhtred stories?

Poor Margaret, you accidentally stepped in it by calling Errol Flynn a New Zealander! Although Aussies and Kiwis are family there's a goodly amount of sibling rivalry between them, especially when it comes to sport :) Sometimes we compete in claiming famous people, like Russell Crowe, who was born in New Zealand but grew up in Australia.

This is a totally personal opinion (ie I am not speaking the other 20 million plus Aussies) but you can keep Russell Crowe! LOL!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “General Discussion”