Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Upcoming Movies In General

Lauryn
Reader

Postby Lauryn » Tue April 21st, 2009, 11:06 pm

"EC2" wrote:We have plenty of pine forests in the UK (courtesy of the Forestry Commission) but Sherwood should be more deciduous woodland. Short tunics like that are generally of the fantasy costume variety. Later Medieval had more tailoring than the pic and where you might just get away with it (Viking) it's still on the somewhat short side. He should be wearing a knee-length tunic over a shirt, hose (tight fitting single-leg trousers) and braies (baggy underpants tucked into the trouser legs. The latter are attached to the waist of his braies by ties.
But as Telynor says, it might look as if he's wearing a dress to those who haven't got their eye in!

Prince Valiant - not a good reference for MA costuming. Check! ;)
Just wrapping my mind around my hubby getting dressed like this in the mornings gives me a whole new appreciation for buttonholes, snaps, zippers, Velcro and elastic. Never mind my appreciation for programmable coffee makers! :D
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

chuck
Bibliophile

Tom Cruise and John Travolta??????

Postby chuck » Tue April 21st, 2009, 11:48 pm

"annis" wrote:Noooo! Please tell me that Tom Cruise isn't going to do a re-make of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"!
http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/film-cinema/will-cruiser-butcher-the-sundance-kid-1712664.html

Surely you jest.......(Too short)Cruise and (Too fat)Travolta....Please.....I hope Redford will say something publicly.....Replaying the great dialogue between Redford and Newman can't be duplicated ever....

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Wed April 22nd, 2009, 12:01 am

Ridley Scott, must be trying to save money and is using "Kingdom of Heaven" costumes and props....I wonder if film producers think the public doesn't care if sets, costumes and scenery is wrong....The 1939, Robin Hood Sherwood Forest (Hollywood back lot) looked like the real thing......Are we too picky?.....I think not....

Lauryn
Reader

Tom Cruise - in anything

Postby Lauryn » Wed April 22nd, 2009, 12:09 am

I cannot remember the last Cruise movie I saw, in whatever format. It's been so long since I bothered. I do remember being briefly ostractised in high school for stating that he was nothing special in The Colour of Money (although under duress, I will admit to a certain cynical amusement at the underpants dance. :D )
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 2:42 am

I used to like Tom until he did was he did to Nicole.
-----
Angelina Jolie to play "Dr. Kay Scarpetta", sounds like it...

Jolie Takes New Suspense Thriller To The Big Screen

22 April 2009 6:25 PM, PDT

Angelina Jolie has landed a role in another suspense thriller - as a crime-solving medical examiner in a new film based on Patricia Cornwell's bestselling novels.

Jolie has signed on to play the title character from Cornwell's 16 novel series about forensic examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta - a woman with a messy love life who solves crime and loves the opera.

According to Variety, the film will not focus on a specific Cornwell title. But insiders say the deal could mean the start of a new franchise for the actress - who had her last series success with Lara Croft: Tomb Raider.

The thriller is the latest in a string of crime-fighting characters for Jolie, who's starred in action films including Wanted, Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Gone in Sixty Seconds.

Studio bosses have yet to line up a screenwriter or director for the new film.
----
I've never read her Scarpetta books, I tried to read her NF on Jack the Ripper but her writing style totally turned me off and it was wallbanged.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

chuck
Bibliophile

Postby chuck » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 3:20 am

These days I pass on actors like Jolie, Gibson, Cruise, and finding it very difficult to forget Brad Pitt's film with Ms. Jolie Mr. and Mrs. Smith......Their OTT lifestyles, values, politics really get in the way of me taking them; serious as actors....sorry about the rant

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 3:42 am

I'm not big on Brad either, I like Jennifer Aniston! But I do want to see "Benjamin Button".

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham & How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 11:01 am

Can't see Anj as Scarpetta at all - she is meant to be blonde for a start...if they were going for someone of Anj's generation of actresses, Gwyneth Paltrow would be better. Wonder who they'll cast as Marino, her balding policeman sidekick?

Haven't seen a Cruise film for years apart from War of the Worlds, hated Jerry Maguire and wanted to walk out, if I hear that line about having me at hello I want to vomit!

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 1:13 pm

I can't recall seeing a Tom Cruise film since Rain Man - or possibly Mission Impossible. He doesn't tend to appeal to me.

BTW, Tom and Nicole's London home that they had for a few years was apparently just round the corner from where we lived, and they could reportedly be seen in the local pub. Reportedly. Leo was also supposed to have an apartment in the same complex.

wealcere
Reader

Postby wealcere » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 8:58 pm

Been surfing down at Freshwest, Pembrokeshire and was walking back along the beach when I had to do a double take as there was a building amongst the sand dunes, just looked like a small hobbit kind of house. Any way, found out from the guys working on it, they're going to film Harry Potter and then afterwards some Robin Hood with RC. I can't quite remember seeing sand dunes in any forests, just hoping it's going to ba backdrop for some Crusader part of the movie.
Honesta Quam Magna
How great are honorable deeds

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”