Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Need a place to organize and catalogue your books?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Well, they might have been sent intentionally, Ariadne. Publicists nowadays encourage authors to sign up for MySpace and Facebook accounts and build a friend list that's as large as possible, in order to develop a base for publicizing their books. LibraryThing has a "friend" feature, too, but doesn't notify people by email whenever they get a friend request. I've gotten friend requests at Facebook from people I don't know at all, and I always get an email for each request.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:15 pm

Has anyone been able to import their books from LibraryThing to Goodreads? I tried it, but no luck, but admittedly I didn't try very hard. I didn't want to expend the effort if it isn't even possible.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:17 pm

You get an email if someone invites you as a friend, and I've been getting emails when my friends make changes/comments, etc. but I think that can be turned off in the settings feature.

Lady of the Forest
Scribbler

Postby Lady of the Forest » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Yes, you can make it so that you do not get an e-mails if you do not want. Mine is set up so I only get e-mails about friend requsts
User signature picture
Ordinary morality is for ordinary people

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:36 pm

I can believe some of the requests, like those from authors, may have been deliberately sent. Others I'm sure weren't. I've done some googling around and see that others have noticed this issue with them too (requests sent on their behalf without their knowing about it).

I get notification when people friend me on Librarything. It may be a setting in their preferences.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:36 pm

I have profiles at GoodReads (Ludmilla) and LT (LudmillaLotaria). I started them around the same time to see which I liked better, but am probably going to just maintain LT going forward. Good Reads is fine for tracking what you read, socializing, etc., but I'm just more geared toward the database approach, and I really like the home page feature that LibraryThing rolled out recently. It makes it easier for me to track my interests. I have some friends who use and like Shelfari, which is a site similar to GoodReads (but has a more visual interface).

I think there are issues with any of these sites if you're trying to catalogue older books w/out ISBNs. It's an arduous process, and I made the mistake of trying to upload a bunch of books in an import and am still trying to figure out what I missed.

Anyway... feel free to visit or friend me at either site. Bookish friends are always welcome. :)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:41 pm

"JMJacobsen" wrote:Has anyone been able to import their books from LibraryThing to Goodreads? I tried it, but no luck, but admittedly I didn't try very hard. I didn't want to expend the effort if it isn't even possible.

Sorry for the double-post. Just noticed your comment after posting. I would export goodreads to excel, and from the Excel file, only import the Author, Title and ISBN columns in LT, to get a proper import. Don't bother to import books without ISBN's as LT's import won't load them.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Thu September 4th, 2008, 8:25 pm

I have Library Thing but I have got out of the habit of updating it. Another option is Shelfari, which I haven't used. I do use Visual Bookshelf on Facebook as well.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

JaneConsumer
Reader

Postby JaneConsumer » Fri September 5th, 2008, 1:10 am

Now I tried librarything and for some reason it didn't work for me as easily as this one is. Don't recall why though

I know. I found you there and sent you a friend invite, but you never responded. :( :p :D

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Fri September 5th, 2008, 10:46 am

"JaneConsumer" wrote:Now I tried librarything and for some reason it didn't work for me as easily as this one is. Don't recall why though

I know. I found you there and sent you a friend invite, but you never responded.

Sorry, I don't think I've been back there for quite some time. If I can remember how to log back in I'll accept the invite :p :o

Return to “General Discussion”