Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Need a place to organize and catalogue your books?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Need a place to organize and catalogue your books?

Postby Misfit » Thu September 4th, 2008, 2:01 pm

No I'm not trying to direct any one away from this forum, but checkout Good Reads. You can organize your books marking them to read/read, etc. Post reviews and/or comments so years down the road you can recall what you liked about the book. You can also set up your own tags, i.e. Wall Banger, romance, historical, one time read, etc. Feel free to check it out and drop me a friend invite if you join.
Last edited by Misfit on Thu September 4th, 2008, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lady of the Forest
Scribbler

Postby Lady of the Forest » Thu September 4th, 2008, 4:09 pm

Hey Misfit, my sister sent me over to Goodreads. I just sent you a friend invite under the name Silver Wind.
User signature picture
Ordinary morality is for ordinary people

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu September 4th, 2008, 4:17 pm

Um, the link sent me to an Amazon page for the Far Pavilions. Needs fixing, maybe?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu September 4th, 2008, 4:21 pm

:o :o :o :o

Oops, gotta watch that copy and paste sometimes. I fixed the link.

JaneConsumer
Reader

Postby JaneConsumer » Thu September 4th, 2008, 5:01 pm

Another good site is LibraryThing.

JMJacobsen
Reader

Postby JMJacobsen » Thu September 4th, 2008, 5:23 pm

"JaneConsumer" wrote:Another good site is LibraryThing.

So far, I'm enjoying LibraryThing, although I don't have a barcode reader so I am having to manually add books (arghhhh). I'm hoping it will be well worth the effort when all is said and done.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu September 4th, 2008, 5:38 pm

"JaneConsumer" wrote:Another good site is LibraryThing.

Now I tried librarything and for some reason it didn't work for me as easily as this one is. Don't recall why though :p

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Thu September 4th, 2008, 5:43 pm

Thanks, Misfit! What a great site.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Thu September 4th, 2008, 6:57 pm

I've been on LibraryThing for over a year now, I think, and don't know how I lived without it. I love it that there are now two successful sites for cataloging and discussing books. Perhaps the people who keep predicting the demise of literature are just a bunch of gloomy sourpusses who don't know what they're talking about.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:04 pm

I've been curious about Goodreads because I've gotten spammed by them a bunch of times. I signed up for an account last year after a friend referred me, and never really used it, but I wonder if they have or had a system where it emails everyone in your contact list on your behalf. Every couple weeks I get an email from people I barely know, on behalf of Goodreads, telling me that they want to compare books and be my friends there. I doubt those emails were sent to me intentionally.

Return to “General Discussion”