Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

CW Gortner on tour!

Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here.
Forum rules
Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here. This is the place for actively participating forum members who are also authors to post news about newly released books, book deals, book tours, blog tours, public appearances, awards, etc. Author members who are active in other areas of the forum, other than in self-promotion, are welcome to post here; those who post only here or who post only self-promotional material on the forum will be considered for deletion as spammers. Please reserve this forum for truly newsworthy items; reviews of your books or notifications of new blog posts you make, for example, are not considered newsworthy for purposes of this forum.
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

CW Gortner on tour!

Postby diamondlil » Thu September 4th, 2008, 9:48 am

Author C W Gortner is on a virtual book tour to promote his book The Last Queen which was released on July 29.

You can check out the daily tour stops by clicking here
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:34 am

Thank you, Diamond Lil, for mentioning my blog tour. My schedule has been been a bit insane lately :eek :( no pun intended!) but after this month, I hope to have more time to frolic here with all of you!

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Tue September 9th, 2008, 3:39 pm

On a related note, here's his interview with EM Vidal on "Tea at Trianon" and her book review:
http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2008/09/interview-with-cw-gortner.html

Book review: http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2008/09/last-queen.html

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Tue September 9th, 2008, 5:45 pm

So it's basically the author going around to all the blogs and posting? What a great idea! I checked out CW Gortner's website and am fascinated by The Last Queen now. I intend to buy it as soon as I can get to the book store. I'm due for a nice leisurely browse around a book store with a good cup of cappucino and this presents the perfect excuse! :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Christina
Reader

Postby Christina » Sun December 7th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Yesterday, C.W. Gortner very kindly gave us an interview for our blog and I must say that, much as I loved his writing before, his answers to our questions really caught my imagination and heart utterly. Loving history, I am always fascinated by stories which bring to light a whole new perspective on someone I have thought little about, but reading more of the background about "The Last Queen", and the drive behind writing it, was one of those 'tingle-factor' moments when something makes you think, "Wow! This writing is brilliant! And this story is fascinating!" When you really feel that the writer's heart is in their work, it's so wonderful - and what C.W. Gortner wrote was wonderful!

Some years ago, I met -at a dinner- an author of a very well known work about Queen Victoria. I hadn't expecially like his book but being a Queen Victoria's family addict, I was so pleased to be sitting by him and thought what a great conversation we could have. Imagine my utter disappointment when he said, "I don't remember who anyone is in the book. The editor from (name of his publisher) said someone sent in an idea for the book so I wrote it. I wish I knew more but I just wrote the names and events down and put them together. Next I am writing a book about...(something he didn't care about either)..." Thud!!!!

What C.W. Gortner - like Sandra Worth, I think, and Hannah Pakula (although she writes non-fiction) and the late :-( Theo Aronsen (also non-fiction) - does, that is so different, is bring alive their characters because they really 'know' them and the reader feels with them and, just as the author gets into the character of the subject, so, too, can the reader.

Wonderful, wonderful writers! :-)

xiaotien
Reader

Postby xiaotien » Mon December 8th, 2008, 3:11 am

totally cool! have fun and good luck!!
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

Helen_Davis
Compulsive Reader

Postby Helen_Davis » Mon December 8th, 2008, 3:40 am

What's a virtual tour?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon December 8th, 2008, 8:44 am

When an author stops by different blogs each day and can for example do different guest posts or interviews etc.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Author Announcements”