Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Does Anyone Have A Wireless Router?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu September 4th, 2008, 5:10 pm

I think I'll need to call CircuitCity and talk to a sales person before I do anything. This is all to new to me to do on my own.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Grasshopper
Scribbler

Postby Grasshopper » Thu September 4th, 2008, 10:42 pm

I promise, it's not as hard as it sounds. :D

Those salespersons will probably be helpful, but be careful. They are there to sell you something. A modest priced router/switch will be perfect...certainly less than $100.

Good luck!

JaneConsumer
Reader

Postby JaneConsumer » Fri September 5th, 2008, 1:06 am

A Circuit City salesperson lead me astray on my first buy. I'd recommend a local computer shop. I've also had some luck with talking to folks at Staples and RadioShack.

That said, routers are so much easier to install today. I have 2 in my house, which is 3 floors. One is on the bottom floor. It has both a wired and wireless connection.

The 2nd is on the 3rd floor. I have it set up as a repeat router, meaning it talks to the router on the 1st floor and helps carry the signal. So my kids are getting a stronger connection than they would without it.

The whole she-bang took about 10 minutes to set up. The security configuration was the biggest bugaboo. After 4 frustrating hours, I decided to limit access to the routers to the computers' MAC addresses. That took just a few minutes and is a decent workaround.

Grasshopper
Scribbler

Postby Grasshopper » Fri September 5th, 2008, 11:14 am

I use the MAC filter also. 'Tis a good way of securing a home network.

Return to “Chat”