Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Does Anyone Have A Wireless Router?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Does Anyone Have A Wireless Router?

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 11:38 pm

And if someone does, how good does it work through closed doors and what type and approximately how much did it cost you?

I'm in the market for one so my niece can be online at the same time with me, but not always in my room when she wants to be on.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Postby Tanzanite » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 11:40 pm

We had one at our house that was on the 2nd floor in a bedroom. It would work with my wireless laptop in the basement, outside on the deck, in the garage - basically anywhere in the house. I bought it a couple of years ago and think it was about $50.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 11:42 pm

we have one and it works everywhere. the neighbors also have one, and sometimes if I have my laptop in the dining room, I pick up their router instead of mine!

Grasshopper
Scribbler

Postby Grasshopper » Thu September 4th, 2008, 12:20 am

Unless your house is made of lead or 10,000,000 square feet, you'll be fine with any wifi-G or -N router out there. I usually recommend Linksys. I've had, and have heard of, some lemons with D-Link and have not tried some of the other brands.

Wireless routers are a necessity if you have broadband AND have more than one computer, especially a laptop.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Thu September 4th, 2008, 1:09 am

I have one and I think it works great. My friend bought it for me, so I'll have to check to see which one it is. But its lin the livingroom and I"m upstairs. No trouble.

I did have some issues when I first got it becuase I would have to put the security code in all the time, but now I dont have an issue.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu September 4th, 2008, 4:35 am

Ok, how exactly does someone connect to the wireless router?

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Thu September 4th, 2008, 4:53 am

I have a Belkin one. For me, it is set up with the main PC. I am on the wireless enabled laptop, and I basically just click the internet icon and go online. The main PC does not have to be on and running, infact at the moment it is having a hissy fit and will find itself thrown from the room in a fit of rage, but that is another matter!

My laptop has the wireless thingy built into it, but my old one had a card that I inserted into a special slot that allowed me to connect.

If you do go wireless do make it a secure site, give it a password then your neighbors cant log in on your connection. You dont need to remember the password all the time, its only if it has a hic-cup.

Good luck!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu September 4th, 2008, 5:02 am

Both Harm and I have built in wireless adapter thingies and I know she can connect at her old school. I'm looking at this one:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Linksys-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router-WRT54G2/sem/rpsm/oid/207051/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It has really good ratings and reviews. And it's a lot cheaper then what I'd pay at the IT place on the island. From what I understand there's a disc that you put on the computers you want to connect. And I assume you plug your cord from the modem you have for your internet (like Comcast) in to it? Or am I totally confused?

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Road To Newgate by Kate Braithwaite & Darling Blue by Tracy Rees (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:09 am

We have wireless and it works fine in our house from room to room - we have really thick walls, too. Our phone works over the internet as well.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Grasshopper
Scribbler

Postby Grasshopper » Thu September 4th, 2008, 11:02 am

That's a good product, SM. Go for it!

Getting connected out of the box is the easy part. The directions should be short and sweet.

The more difficult part may be to secure your new wireless network. This is important....and highly variable, depending on the the equipment and configuration of your equipment. It's a little difficult to advise before you have product in hand and hooked up.

Securing your network may take a little work, but IMHO, everyone should learn how to take care of their wireless network and allow only those you want to access the network.

Good luck!

Allen

Return to “Chat”