Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Horse Whisperer Poisons himself

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Horse Whisperer Poisons himself

Postby EC2 » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 11:38 am

Nicholas Evans is in hospital having eaten poisoned mushrooms!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4660269.ece
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 11:40 am

That's what you get for eating mushrooms full stop. :p

Horrible things.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 11:47 am

That's a holiday to forget isn't it really!

Mushrooms....yum!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 5:09 pm

Poor guy!

When I was younger, maybe 5 or 6, my sister thought it would be funny to tell me that there were mushrooms in the front yard, I liked mushrooms, which she knew, and so I went out and ate them.

I or she must've told mom cause they made me drink Buttermilk or MOM to induce vomitting and then took me to the hospital to have my stomach pumped!

To this day I stomp on any mushrooms in our yard, but I still like the good ones!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Thu September 4th, 2008, 5:00 am

Mushrooms! YUK!! The food of satan! Cant stand them! Hubby and daughter like them and I have to cook them for them, but me and son....nope, no way!!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce & The Poison Bed by E C Fremantle (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Thu September 4th, 2008, 7:18 am

When we were in Thailand earlier this year, my daughter picked her choice from a buffet and sat down to eat it. She was munching away with a funny look on her fact, she then said 'I don't like this risotto, the mushrooms are chewy.' I replied to her: 'Well, they're not mushrooms, they're snails'. Her face was a picture. :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Thu September 4th, 2008, 9:16 am

"Vanessa" wrote:When we were in Thailand earlier this year, my daughter picked her choice from a buffet and sat down to eat it. She was munching away with a funny look on her fact, she then said 'I don't like this risotto, the mushrooms are chewy.' I replied to her: 'Well, they're not mushrooms, they're snails'. Her face was a picture. :D

ROTFLOL! Snails are on my list of things to try when I've plucked up the courage!
I do pick and eat wild mushrooms but only the bog standard field mushrooms, e brown parasolls and puff balls. I DO know what I'm doing re them and I'd not touch any of the other fungus in the woods because I couldn't be sure.
I'm still alive - so far! It does make you realise how easily someone in an earlier century could be bumped off though. Some of them, like the one Nick Evans ate aren't deadly until well after the event. You eat them and don't get sick until several days later by which time the perpetrator is miles away.
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Thu September 4th, 2008, 9:42 am

Funnily enough a historical mystery that I read recently featured a death by poisoned mushrooms.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Fri September 5th, 2008, 5:51 am

There are old mushroom hunters, there are bold mushroom hunters, but there are not any old and bold mushroom hunters. -- Anonymous

Return to “Chat”