Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

M M Kaye

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

M M Kaye

Postby diamondlil » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 11:06 am

I normally love my library, but I was very surprised when I went to check the catalogue tonight to see what M M Kaye books they had and found that they don't have either The Far Pavillions or Shadow of the Moon!

They do have books 1 and 3 in the Share of Summer series which consists of The Sun in the Morning, Golden Afternoon and Enchanted Evening which are all non-fiction and apparently are the three volumes of her autobiography.

The only other books they have are books 2 and 6 in the Death in series.

No Shadow of the Moon...no The Far Pavillions! Waaaahhh.

Fortunately I am a member at more than one library, but so far two of them have The Far Pavillions but none of them have Shadow of the Moon! I remember loving that book so much, and I really want to read it again.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Mara
Scribbler

Postby Mara » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 1:00 pm

Good luck in your search. I've read both many years ago and loved them, though my favourite novel of hers is Trade Wind. Rory is such a lovable rogue... ;)

Incidentally, The Far Pavillions was the first ever historical novel I read in the English language at the age of 17 (up to then it was only Agatha Christie's - and everything else in German), and it got me hooked on historicals. What a wonderful writer M M Kaye was.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Postby Ash » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 1:32 pm

Wow, that really is shameful - both of those books are remarkable and should be available. Tho given the cuts our libraries have taken lately, it wouldn't surprise me if ours didn't have them as well. Well, I know I often see them at our used bookstore, so you might want to try there.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 2:00 pm

How a library can not have The Far Pavilions is beyond me. I also love SOTM and Trade Wind as well, although I've never tried her mysteries. I started The Sun in The Morning a couple of months ago but got side tracked and had to return to the library. Another day. It was interesting and it's more than just a retelling of her life, she also recounts her father's life which included a long and very interesting military career.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Road To Newgate by Kate Braithwaite & Darling Blue by Tracy Rees (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 2:07 pm

To buy a new hardback copy of Trade Winds on Amazon UK, it's £74.85!!! :eek: Luckily, I do have old copies of this book and Shadow of the Moon and The Far Pavillions somewhere. I am now just wondering exactly where they may be! I shall have to have a hunt round.
Last edited by Vanessa on Wed September 3rd, 2008, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 2:23 pm

Why are these out of print older books so hard to find and expensive in the UK when they're a penny a pop in the US? Just for curiosity's sake, how would that work out for shipping to the UK from the US? See book listing on Thrift Books.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Road To Newgate by Kate Braithwaite & Darling Blue by Tracy Rees (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 2:29 pm

There are some used copies for 1p, but I suppose a brand new copy would be very hard to get hold of now hence the £74.85. All my copies are in lovely condition, as are my books really. I take good care of them.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Mara
Scribbler

Postby Mara » Thu September 4th, 2008, 12:33 pm

After watching the Far Pavilions on telly in the mid 80s I got hooked. I bought the book, Shadow of the Moon, Trade Wind, and several of her whodunits. Still have them all in very good condition. They were probably all re-released in the wake of the series.

She managed to set the scenes really well and you knew instantly that she had in-depth knowledge of the areas. Albeit from a different time as today.

Can't believe she's out of print. Very sad!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu September 4th, 2008, 1:48 pm

The Far Pavilions is available in Trade Paperback at least in the US.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Tue December 2nd, 2008, 6:13 am

I'm reading The Far Pavillions now and for me so far it's just OK. I'm 1/2 way through (it's taking a while to read as last week I was busy with holiday stuff) and am still waiting for *something* to happen. So far the best part has been the wonderful descriptions of India. I'm not too thrilled with the storyline though. It's just a little bit slow and plodding for me. I still have 1/2the book to read so it may change but as of now I'm really surprised as I thought for sure I'd love this one!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Return to “India”