Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jodi Picoult

tsjmom
Reader

Postby tsjmom » Thu September 11th, 2008, 11:53 pm

I know she's hugely popular, but I can't read her books. The topics are too depressing. As a mother, do I really want to read about a family getting that knock on the door from the cops in the middle of the night? Heck no!

I read for pleasure, to escape my stress. The last thing I need is to cry over a book.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri September 12th, 2008, 3:03 am

"Vanessa" wrote:The book which irritated me was The Pact. I thought the plot was a little unreal. I do enjoy JP's books, but if I read them one after the other, they would start to feel slightly 'samey'. I feel it's best to leave a big gap between reading them.

I never got the whole Pact plot. I thought it was just too weird and too damn stupid. My students love her books though. Why, I'm not so sure.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Virgulina
Scribbler

Postby Virgulina » Fri September 19th, 2008, 10:59 am

I do enjoy her books, they're a bit formulaic yes but addictive, just be sure to not read too many of them at once, it tends to get a bit tiresome.
I've read The Pact, Mercy, Keeping Faith, Plain Truth, Perfect Match, My Sister's Keeper and Vanishing Acts. My favourite one is Plain Truth, followed closely by The Pact and Mercy, Vanishing Acts was just awful and I'm glad I borrowed it and not spent any money on it! :p

Ana

Bobbi
Scribbler

Postby Bobbi » Wed November 5th, 2008, 11:37 pm

I've only read My Sister's Keeper and I cried myself to sleep after reading it. What an emotional journey. I will read her other books, but I will be leaving big gaps between them, so they don't wear me down.

MrsMorland
Reader

Postby MrsMorland » Wed November 5th, 2008, 11:45 pm

I have read them all. I think a few of her books are pretty bad, including Harvesting the Heart, sorry! But some are really very well done. Like My Sister's Keeper, Nineteen Minutes and Plain Truth. I also liked Salem Falls.

Bobbi
Scribbler

Postby Bobbi » Wed November 5th, 2008, 11:50 pm

Thanks Mrs Morland, I'll keep those titles in mind when I pick up the next one.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu November 6th, 2008, 11:44 am

I've read Salem Falls, The Pact, My Sister's Keeper and most recently when it was finally re-issued over here in pb, Second Glance.

SG is probably my least favourite, MSK was very good but agree it is a bit of a cop-out ending, The Pact was readable but not very believable, and my fave is SF. Have several others in various tbr piles!

Tinuviel
Scribbler

Postby Tinuviel » Thu November 27th, 2008, 9:30 pm

I really adore her books, and I've read all of them now. I think that certain books of hers are a little similar, but a lot of them (and my personal favorites) really stand out: in particular I liked My Sister's Keeper, Nineteen Minutes, Salem Falls, Keeping Faith, and Plain Truth. But I honestly think all of hers are worth a read (with the possible exception of Songs of the Humpback Whale, Mercy, and Harvesting the Heart - in general I'm not really as much a fan of her earlier stuff, but I still think it's good).

tsjmom
Reader

Postby tsjmom » Fri April 3rd, 2009, 12:33 am

I'll say up front that I know she's very successful and recommended a lot. HOWEVER, I have zero interest in reading any of her books. *hides behind couch*

Her topics are morose and disturbing. What parent wants to read a book about getting the dreaded 3 am knock on the door from the police? I read to escape, and I certainly don't need anymore help in the crying dept. For the life of me I don't understand why people enjoy her books :S *still hiding behind couch*

love_uk
Reader

Postby love_uk » Tue August 18th, 2009, 12:55 am

"LCW" wrote:I've seen this author all over the place and know of few of you on here read her sometimes. Today I bought Harvesting the Heart: A Novel and was wondering if any of you have read it and what you think of the author.

OK - I know it's been a year since this was originally posted but I'm new & have an opinion, so here I am:

I feel the quality of her writing is excellent. I've read about 6 of her books over the last 2 years & without exception, they've made me weep. Therefore, I pace myself by leaving long periods between reading her stuff. I love a good cathartic cry but not every month!
Joan

My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter. ~Thomas Helm

Return to “Others”