Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kate Ross

Lady of the Forest
Scribbler

Kate Ross

Postby Lady of the Forest » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 10:39 pm

I have just recently started reading The Devil In Music a Julian Kestral Mystery by Kate Ross. I am not ususally one to read an entire mystery series but now and than I will pick up a mystery book if it sounds interesting, as often you do not really have to read them in order for them to make sense.

So far it does seem to be quite intriguing. It takes place in the Itallian states in the mid-1800s.

I was wondering if anyone has read any of these books, becasue if the others are good, and I end up liking this one, I might look into some of the others.
User signature picture
Ordinary morality is for ordinary people

CrimsonPetal
Reader

Postby CrimsonPetal » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 6:55 pm

Bumping this.

I recently heard of these books and have become intrigued by finding out how they are. They also seem really hard to find.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Mon August 24th, 2009, 11:57 pm

They are all excellent; I believe the Devil in Music was her final one (she died several years ago) and I found her earlier ones even better. They are all set in the Regency years, and all involve Julian Kestral solving crimes. What I enjoy most about them is that they are essentially novels with a mystery or puzzle as part of a broader plot. They are very character driven, and Ross did an excellent job of setting the scene in Regency communities like Bath.
Highly recommended; some of the best historical mysteries out there.
Another small grouping of very very good historical mysteries are those by Hannah March. Set during the 18th century, they are again excellent at conveying the period; they are more mystery 'formula' but books that I think most HF readers would really enjoy because they don't read like detective novels that just happen to be set in medieval England (the most common flaw of HF mysteries, IMO.)

emr
Compulsive Reader

Postby emr » Tue August 25th, 2009, 7:42 pm

I've read A Broken Vessel and Whom the Gods Love and they are really nice reads both of them. In these books she spoils a little the first book (Cut to the Quick) so now I have to wait a few weeks to read it hehe.

Thanks for the Hannah March tip. I dont see any book from her newer than 2001 though :/
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Wed August 26th, 2009, 2:30 am

I'll second the recommendation for the Hannah March novels. There were, I believe, only five of them. If you're looking for other novels by the same author, you'll want to search under "Jude Morgan" as this is the pseudonym he's currently using, but for literary and romantic fiction rather than mysteries. (His The Taste of Sorrow remains my favorite read of 2009 thus far.) He's also written British sagas under his real name, T.R. (aka Tim) Wilson.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Postby emr » Thu August 27th, 2009, 7:31 am

"Ariadne" wrote:I'll second the recommendation for the Hannah March novels. There were, I believe, only five of them. If you're looking for other novels by the same author, you'll want to search under "Jude Morgan" as this is the pseudonym he's currently using, but for literary and romantic fiction rather than mysteries. (His The Taste of Sorrow remains my favorite read of 2009 thus far.) He's also written British sagas under his real name, T.R. (aka Tim) Wilson.

Thanks. His/her other books sound interesting as well.
Sometimes I wonder why some authors cant stick to one name.
Or to one sex. :D
"So many books, so little time."

— Frank Zappa

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Thu August 27th, 2009, 5:38 pm

Ariadne, thank you!!!!! :D :D :D :D I am now going to order about 3 of the Jude Morgan books, sight unseen...
I had read, I think, one Tim Wilson book. Will have to go back and remind myself why I didn't follow up on that.
I love the Hannah March series and wish (s)he would write more...

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Fri August 28th, 2009, 1:38 am

You're welcome, Chatterbox! You really have to read Jude Morgan's novels if you haven't already, as the two I've read (Passion and Taste of Sorrow) are both amazing -- something I don't say lightly. I've never read his books as Wilson but really should...

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Fri August 28th, 2009, 1:42 am

I was able to order Passion and Symphony (or at least request them) from PaperbackSwap. The others I will have to order from Amazon... :-)

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Fri August 28th, 2009, 1:50 am

You may be able to find some on Bookcloseouts.com too - that's where I picked up many of his, aside from the latest one.
Last edited by Ariadne on Fri August 28th, 2009, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Historical Mystery”