Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

London's Old Bailey Proceedings 1674-1913

Leyland
Bibliophile

London's Old Bailey Proceedings 1674-1913

Postby Leyland » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 4:37 pm

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org.uk

This link has many interesting facts and cases regarding criminal court proceedings make it a useful springboard into a souce of social historical information.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 4:38 pm

I searched Offences for Theft: Pocketpicking for September 1695 through September 1696 and found the following:

Jane Browne, Theft > pocketpicking, 14th October 1695.

Jane Browne Wife of John Browne (commonly called by the Name of Jenny Precious) of the Parish of St. Andrews Holborn , was Indicted for picking the Pocket of William Terret , Gent. on the 13th of October last, of a Gold Ring with a Turkey Stone value 8s. and one other Gold Ring value 14s. There was no body appeared against her, she was acquitted .

I wonder where Jenny Precious fenced her Turkey Stone? Actually, I don't know what one is and so will look it up! But she didn't stop thieving-

Jane Precious, Jane Blewit, Theft > pocketpicking, 3rd December 1695. Reference Number: t16951203-2 Offence: Theft > pocketpicking Verdict: Guilty Punishment: Transportation

Jane Precious alias Browne , and Jane Blewit , both of the Parish of St. Dunstans in the West , were tried for Picking the Pocket of Richard Roberts on the 25th of November last, and taking from him ten Guineas . It appeared that as he was coming by Fleet-street, about six or seven at Night, the Prisoners met him and ask'd him if he would go and drink a Glass of Wine; and he answered, yes, if it was good. Then they went to the Star Tavern in White-Fryers , and whilst they were Drinking, Precious thrust her Hand into his Pocket, and he catcht her with a Guinea in her Hand. Precious denied the Fact, and said that his Breeches fell down, and the Money fell about the Room, and that she did take up one of the Guineas, which was that which was taken in her Hand. Blewit said that she had none of his Money, nor was not near him. The Prisoners being known to be Night-walkers, and could give no account how they lived; the Jury found them both guilty .

I wonder what eventually became of Jenny Precious? I assume she was transported to the Colonies.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Postby Volgadon » Tue September 9th, 2008, 4:06 pm

I think a Turkey stone is either a diamond cut in an Oriental style, or one bought from the Middle East.

Return to “Questions and Research”